Fluval CO2 20 System - Replacement Canisters(Non-Fluval)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gre

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Many people on the internet were questioning weather or not the Fluval CO2 20 System has propriatery threading on their 18g cartridges. Seeing as a package of 3 Fluval brand cartridges costs around $25 I thought I would try a "non-fluval" threaded CO2 canister. I went to my local bike shop and picked up two 16g threaded cartridges for CO2 bike pumps for $8 and they fit perfectly! But 4$ a canister is still kind of steep in my opinion but here are some alternatives that will work:

Canada: Mountian Equimtment Co-op sells 20 for $28! (I tested these as well and they are only $1.40 each!)

USA: eBay

I scoured the internet trying to find a concrete answer and found nothing so I am just posting incase anyone else was wondering!

Cheers :fish2:

So, the 16g work even though the fluval cartridges are 20g? Is the thread the same?

Would love an update on this, as they are only $2 Australian dollars (CHEAP!)

I realize this is an old thread but would love it if anyone could advise if this works.

That is correct, I am using 16g threaded even though the FLUVAL cartridges are 20g. The threads are the same, no problems there. I'm still using them!

Cheers

THANKS for the tip! I've been trying to determine what canisters would be compatible...also saw some at C. Tire too (that was my first thought to check out - not sure if $$ wise which is cheaper and whether C. Tire ones have the same thread).

How long does a 16g canister last for you?

Thanks again!

That is correct, I am using 16g threaded even though the FLUVAL cartridges are 20g. The threads are the same, no problems there. I'm still using them!

Cheers

Good find! I used to use the smaller fluval co2 kit but gave up because of expensive refills and it was not effective. There was no way to make it run at 1 bps because the valve is not precise enough. I have had to get e replacement valves due to the valve getting stuck on. I grabbed an automatic co2 system for a good price and am a lot happier now-and so are my plants. :)

Good find! I used to use the smaller fluval co2 kit but gave up because of expensive refills and it was not effective. There was no way to make it run at 1 bps because the valve is not precise enough. I have had to get e replacement valves due to the valve getting stuck on. I grabbed an automatic co2 system for a good price and am a lot happier now-and so are my plants. :)

Max,

What kind of set up did you get? Thinking about going the co2 route and looking for a variety of options.

Scott F said:
Max,

What kind of set up did you get? Thinking about going the co2 route and looking for a variety of options.

I got a good deal in a used a zoo co2 kit. It has a 2lb refillable tank and comes with a solenoid. If I were you I would just your money and go for a dual stage regulator with a solenoid and refillable tank. It is much much cheaper in the long run.

Scott F said:
Was thinking about a 5lb cylinder and a MA 957.

That would be good. I would make sure you have a store that will refill the tank first.

Scott F said:
Plenty of places out here. Portland has a TON of homebrew stores and there's an air gas supply company two doors down from where I work :D

Awesome! Go for it! :)

Back
Top Bottom