Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Fluval filter

I just got the HOB Fluval (Aquaclear)power filter for 20-50gal. It is a 3 stage filter. 1st the foam filter, next the activated carbon then biomax stones in mesh bag. From reading I know that most people do not use carbon in their filters. So my question is what do you suggest I put in the filter to replace the carbon? And why does nobody use the carbon?

Old 03-07-2014, 01:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Carbon doesn't do much except make money for people who sell it. It also only lasts about a month. Many people use floss in lieu of carbon since the "sponge" is too coarse to polish the water for crystal clarity. If you have room, stick in some Seachem Purigen. People on here love it and over the long run it does more and is cheaper to use than carbon.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1792 View Post
Carbon doesn't do much except make money for people who sell it. It also only lasts about a month. Many people use floss in lieu of carbon since the "sponge" is too coarse to polish the water for crystal clarity. If you have room, stick in some Seachem Purigen. People on here love it and over the long run it does more and is cheaper to use than carbon.
+1. That's sound advice. Purigen polishes the water and removes nitrogenous waste. I would run the sponge, your biological media, purigen, and filter floss.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringoffire View Post
I just got the HOB Fluval (Aquaclear)power filter for 20-50gal. It is a 3 stage filter. 1st the foam filter, next the activated carbon then biomax stones in mesh bag. From reading I know that most people do not use carbon in their filters. So my question is what do you suggest I put in the filter to replace the carbon? And why does nobody use the carbon?

Not true I use chemi pure carbon one of the best on the market. And the have chemi pure elite it has added phosphate remover these carbons last up to 4 months be for they need changing. My tank is crystal blue clear good product. Good luck
Old 05-13-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyS View Post
Not true I use chemi pure carbon one of the best on the market. And the have chemi pure elite it has added phosphate remover these carbons last up to 4 months be for they need changing. My tank is crystal blue clear good product. Good luck
The OP was referring to the carbon that comes with an Aquaclear HOB filter.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh0818 View Post
The OP was referring to the carbon that comes with an Aquaclear HOB filter.

Yes that's correct. In regards to the carbon that comes with the filter, I'd just hold into it. My replacement for carbon is more bio media. Why ? What's better than bio ??? IMO, nothing.

Tags
filter, fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com