Fluval filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ringoffire

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just got the HOB Fluval (Aquaclear)power filter for 20-50gal. It is a 3 stage filter. 1st the foam filter, next the activated carbon then biomax stones in mesh bag. From reading I know that most people do not use carbon in their filters. So my question is what do you suggest I put in the filter to replace the carbon? And why does nobody use the carbon?

Carbon doesn't do much except make money for people who sell it. It also only lasts about a month. Many people use floss in lieu of carbon since the "sponge" is too coarse to polish the water for crystal clarity. If you have room, stick in some Seachem Purigen. People on here love it and over the long run it does more and is cheaper to use than carbon.

Carbon doesn't do much except make money for people who sell it. It also only lasts about a month. Many people use floss in lieu of carbon since the "sponge" is too coarse to polish the water for crystal clarity. If you have room, stick in some Seachem Purigen. People on here love it and over the long run it does more and is cheaper to use than carbon.

+1. That's sound advice. Purigen polishes the water and removes nitrogenous waste. I would run the sponge, your biological media, purigen, and filter floss.

I just got the HOB Fluval (Aquaclear)power filter for 20-50gal. It is a 3 stage filter. 1st the foam filter, next the activated carbon then biomax stones in mesh bag. From reading I know that most people do not use carbon in their filters. So my question is what do you suggest I put in the filter to replace the carbon? And why does nobody use the carbon?

Not true I use chemi pure carbon one of the best on the market. And the have chemi pure elite it has added phosphate remover these carbons last up to 4 months be for they need changing. My tank is crystal blue clear good product. Good luck

Not true I use chemi pure carbon one of the best on the market. And the have chemi pure elite it has added phosphate remover these carbons last up to 4 months be for they need changing. My tank is crystal blue clear good product. Good luck

The OP was referring to the carbon that comes with an Aquaclear HOB filter.

The OP was referring to the carbon that comes with an Aquaclear HOB filter.

Yes that's correct. In regards to the carbon that comes with the filter, I'd just hold into it. My replacement for carbon is more bio media. Why ? What's better than bio ??? IMO, nothing.

Back
Top Bottom