Fluval fx 4&6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kham1984

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am unexpectedly in the care of a 180 gallon freshwater aquarium. I don't know how easy it is to change the filter media in the external filters. The owner passed away so I am trying to figure out how to keep these fish from dying. Multiple deaths have occurred each day over the past few days. I believe the water is doing them harm because there are no visible signs of disease or parasites. Please advise on the correct way to handle these intimidating filters.

I actually just did a post asking about the FX6 yesterday so I can't help on the filtration for this unit or the FX4. I will say that you need to be changing out anywhere from 25-35% of the water weekly depending on how heavily the tank is stocked with fish. Also, only feed what the fish consume in 2-3 minutes as a general rule. Make sure all fish are getting food.

You should get some pics up of the tank , filter and fish so we can get you some helpful proper info..

Most of the fish have unfortunately died. I tested the water and am trying to stabilize pH and everything. I am feeding sparingly because I thought it was ammonia which actually tested zero.

I guess this is an unfortunate update of your other thread? Far greater damage could have been done by "regulating pH". While possible chances that previous owner adjusted pH of his water during PWCs are very low.

As I said in other thread don't touch filters for now. My small fluval canister was cleaned as low as ~twice a year. FX filters are larger and even if overdue for a cleanup will give you some extra "milage". In any case don't do both at the same time for sure

Back
Top Bottom