Fluval Fx5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshsReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got finished with a partial water change on my 75 and it seems as if everytime i do one, and after I prime my fluval fx5, it releases a bunch of junk into the aquarium. The small particles will float around the tank after everything is turned back on for an hour or so. Those of you that run a Fluval FX5, do you have this problem too ? Should I be rinsing the canister out in rodi water every partial water change? Im kinda wondering if this stuff could be building up somewhere inside my filter.

Also I was wondering if should take the foam blocks out of the cannister, I clean them in old saltwater every three weeks, however Im not sure if that is enough to keep them from causing nitrate problems down the road.

Thanks for the help all

You should be rinsing the canister of any excess gunk along with the media if it is building up considerably. You can also place a filter sock at the return upon initial restart and remove once the line has cleared. What are the compartments made up of?

I run two compartments or lr rubble. I run one compartment with chemi pure elite and purigen. I clean the foam pabs in old saltwater every time I open up the cannister. Should i run fresh salwater through the lr rubble ?

Also it seems to pump a lot less water than it did a few months ago , I wonder if there is some gunk somewhere slowing it down.

Sounds as if something is blocking the water flow. Check the chemical media as they can get clogged easily, especially if in mesh bags. The lr probably drops detritus so you would want to siphon that out as well. You can use the foam blocks as a microbubble eliminator or first stage within the canister.

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion. This is the proper forum for this. That way Salties and freshies can see this post.

I run one. You should rinse the media (LR) in your old SW so as not to kill your beneficial bacteria. The FX5 has two output returns (just so you know James) and would need two socks. I think if you rinse it out that gunk will be little to none. I took the foam blocks out of mine. I think there are two for each basket (three baskets total).

I run one. You should rinse the media (LR) in your old SW so as not to kill your beneficial bacteria. The FX5 has two output returns (just so you know James) and would need two socks. I think if you rinse it out that gunk will be little to none. I took the foam blocks out of mine. I think there are two for each basket (three baskets total).
Two output returns?? Mine only has two hoses - One for in, one for out. How does it have 2 outputs? There is a drain at the bottom that should be cleared regularly to get rid of the settling gunk, but that's not a return hose.

It has one hose with two adjustable output nozzles. I'm sorry, I should have been clearer.

The sock is a good idea. That gunk builds up in the ribbed hoses. All my fluvals do that. I just have'nt changed the hoses, bigger worries. The sock is a pain but works.

The sock is a good idea. That gunk builds up in the ribbed hoses. All my fluvals do that. I just have'nt changed the hoses, bigger worries. The sock is a pain but works.
For cleaning the hoses, I haven't tried it yet, but I have an idea that might work. When I was in school, I played the trumpet, and had a small snake-type brush for cleaning the inside of the instrument. I have also seen larger ones for Trombones. The trombone one might work well for the inside of the ribbed hosing. Just an idea...

For cleaning hoses you can use a bottle brush (look in the baby departments) and they come in various lengths; otherwise, many online lfs sell them under "cleaning" or "aquarium" brushes. Also, the filter socks are only needed to catch the excess gunk after startup so a large one is not needed (nano socks are available) or you can just aim the return to the drain after startup and place back into tank once water streams clear.

For cleaning hoses you can use a bottle brush (look in the baby departments) and they come in various lengths; otherwise, many online lfs sell them under "cleaning" or "aquarium" brushes.
I've never seen a bottle brush that's 10' long. Do they make those?

You could probably tie a string to both ends to suit the length....

I've also used long rigid tubing and taped (Scotch tape) cloth around it, which functions similarly; Otherwise, bleach will help remove tough buildup.

Back
Top Bottom