Fluval Fx5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What's the annual maintenance/upkeep cost for a Fluval Fx5? Based on the cost of the replacement media and how often it needs to be replaced. Just looking for an idea before I make a decision.

It depends on what media you use. The only media I replace is the filter floss. I buy polyester pillow stuffing from the craft store, so it runs me about $5-10 and lasts about a year. Everything is just rinse and reuse.

It depends on what media you use. The only media I replace is the filter floss. I buy polyester pillow stuffing from the craft store, so it runs me about $5-10 and lasts about a year. Everything is just rinse and reuse.

+1 all the way!

I Assumed at some point (I figured once a year) the biomedia would fall apart and need to be replaced. Are you saying that is not the case?

What I am hearing is that the fx5 has basically no upkeep cost besides a marginal cost for filter floss replacements.

I Assumed at some point (I figured once a year) the biomedia would fall apart and need to be replaced. Are you saying that is not the case?

What I am hearing is that the fx5 has basically no upkeep cost besides a marginal cost for filter floss replacements.

That's correct ... I have a fluval 404 that functions the same way as an FX-5 and I've had my biomax media (running 24hrs) since Feb and they are nowhere near falling apart. Ceramic Media should last years from what I've read from other members.

The only maintenance I had to pay for my 404 was for a new impeller cover and shaft that I broke when first cleaning it (it used to be my Brother in laws and it sat for a few years unused with nasty water inside.)

I don't see any reason why an FX-5 should be any different.

I still have biomedia from about thirteen years ago when I got my first Fluval 303. I still have the original foam for my FX5, which I bought when it was first released.

for what its worth. im running eheim substrat pro or what ever their bio media is. top to bottom. well all my fluval canisters are set up like this. time for maintenance i have a strainer and i rattle the heck out of all the bio material and no breakdown. rinse the sponges out. been doing this since june. water is clear. maybe im lucky and not having to run floss or polishing pads. i guess in short my cost is just the electric bill having the filter plugged into the wall.

I'm running two FX5s right now and don't anticipate squat in costs.

The maintenace I do on my Fluvals:

- 2 of the 4 main sponges get rinsed in pwc water every couple months, alternating the pairs that get rinsed.
- Change out the filter floss when it gets nasty, but I only change 1/2 of it. I will place fresh floss in the bottom of the basket, and remove the previous top 1/2... essentially rotating 2 beds of floss. New layer in, oldest layer out. I do this because there is a lot if BB in the floss as well.
- I occasionally rotate out some of my Biomax (10%-20% every 6-8 months) . Even though you may not see it with the naked eye, those pores slowly fill up with microscopic gunk, reducng the surface area where your BB live. Rotating in some fresh Biomax every once in a while ensures a healthy filter.

Thanks all. This has been very helpful in solidifying my decision to move forward with the Fluval Fx5 for my next tank.

Back
Top Bottom