Fluval FX5 Canister Filter Question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just trash it and buy a eheim 2080 or 2262

The guys in the US only love the fx5 so much because it cheap

No one wants to spend the eheim money

You can still get spare parts for the eheim classics that are over 30 years old

Not sure how long the fx5 has been on the market but its less than 10 years and they have already discontinued some spare parts that's not vary good if you ask me

The fx5 is so problematic but the fanboys will still tell you its the best thing ever

Rant over

Yes it's the long tube that carries the water to the bottom of the canister, the way it's designed it created cavitation in the canister. These are not my pictures, just from google images.

Before.

After:

Thanks. U thought that might be what you were talking about. Thanks again for your help. I will cut the tube off this weekend.

Ok sawed off the tube on the fluval fx5 lid and I still have micro bubbles. I am starting to regret ever buying this thing. None of my other fluvals had issues like this.

Hmmm I've got 2 of them and no micro-bubbles, plus I have the original downspout. If the tank continues to gurgle I sometimes have to knock it around/tip it to get the air out, then it runs more silently. I did have the bubble problem once but I can't remember what I did to stop it... I may have had to pick the unit up and drop it a few times to knock out the bubbles... just from 3-4 inches up mind you. Oh have you tried lifting all the pipes coming out of the cannister up over top of the cannister so that the lowest point is the cannister? Sometimes there is air in the lines right where they leave the cannister. Also if all the clamps are not done up real tight some air could be getting in around the cannister top...? Sorry I can't be more helpful they are a simple unit which is what I love about them!

Hmmm I've got 2 of them and no micro-bubbles, plus I have the original downspout. If the tank continues to gurgle I sometimes have to knock it around/tip it to get the air out, then it runs more silently. I did have the bubble problem once but I can't remember what I did to stop it... I may have had to pick the unit up and drop it a few times to knock out the bubbles... just from 3-4 inches up mind you. Oh have you tried lifting all the pipes coming out of the cannister up over top of the cannister so that the lowest point is the cannister? Sometimes there is air in the lines right where they leave the cannister. Also if all the clamps are not done up real tight some air could be getting in around the cannister top...? Sorry I can't be more helpful they are a simple unit which is what I love about them!

Well I am glad yours is working properly. I am going to try lifting the hoses to see if maybe some air is trapped in there. If that doesn't work I am going to call customer service back and talk with a supervisor and see what say. Maybe I can get the unit replaced with something else.

That sounds like it must be a defective unit, air is getting in somewhere, it's not unusual for it to happen for awhile but continually?? That sucks! Ask for an exchange or I'd understand if you are just fed up and get something else. The reason I wanted the FX5 was cuz it is/was the strongest/largest internal cannister going, or it was! I would be very curious to know what is out there now with similar strength!!

Yes it is very frustrating. I plan on calling them today. Hopefully they will send a replacement unit. Whenever I clean it out and start it back up it usually takes a few hours before the bubbles start. I just don't understand it.

Ok called customer service again and now they want me to send photos of my setup showing the fx5 canister and hoses. They also told me to remove the purigen because it causes problems with there products.

The fx5 is just one big sponge filter and its not designed for other types of media

Now they want pictures as well? As well to take out the purigen. Might as well post it up on their website not to use purigen. :ermm: It's great they are trying to work & solved the problem, but if there is an updated lid it's for a reason. IMHO CSR should just have sent this out already...Sorry to hear about your problem and hope you get this solved already.

They said they discontinued the replacement lid. It was probably costing them too much money. It is nice that they are working with me to resolve the problem but at the same time it is frustrating that it is taking so long to resolve it.

Ok I feel really silly now. I tightened the lid screws down tighter and the micro bubbles stopped after a few big bubbles of air came out.

Ok I feel really silly now. I tightened the lid screws down tighter and the micro bubbles stopped after a few big bubbles of air came out.

I wouldn't feel silly, maybe it was simply a combination of the downspout, removing the Purigen, adjusting the hoses, and tightening the lid:brows:

If it's still under warranty, kept a record of ALL calls and emails you make, so you can prove the issue was there while under warranty. In Ireland we have a Sales Of Goods Act, i'm sure you guys have something similar, it basically covers the purchaser from products that don't do as there suppose to do. It's called, Repair, Refund or Replace.... When I have any issue, I just quote this and bingo, problem gets fixed or replaced.....

If it's still under warranty, kept a record of ALL calls and emails you make, so you can prove the issue was there while under warranty. In Ireland we have a Sales Of Goods Act, i'm sure you guys have something similar, it basically covers the purchaser from products that don't do as there suppose to do. It's called, Repair, Refund or Replace.... When I have any issue, I just quote this and bingo, problem gets fixed or replaced.....

Thanks for the info I will check into that. It has been less than a year.

Back
Top Bottom