Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #21

Just trash it and buy a eheim 2080 or 2262

The guys in the US only love the fx5 so much because it cheap

No one wants to spend the eheim money

You can still get spare parts for the eheim classics that are over 30 years old

Not sure how long the fx5 has been on the market but its less than 10 years and they have already discontinued some spare parts that's not vary good if you ask me

The fx5 is so problematic but the fanboys will still tell you its the best thing ever

Rant over

Old 05-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post

Yes it's the long tube that carries the water to the bottom of the canister, the way it's designed it created cavitation in the canister. These are not my pictures, just from google images.

Before.

After:
Thanks. U thought that might be what you were talking about. Thanks again for your help. I will cut the tube off this weekend.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok sawed off the tube on the fluval fx5 lid and I still have micro bubbles. I am starting to regret ever buying this thing. None of my other fluvals had issues like this.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:41 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hmmm I've got 2 of them and no micro-bubbles, plus I have the original downspout. If the tank continues to gurgle I sometimes have to knock it around/tip it to get the air out, then it runs more silently. I did have the bubble problem once but I can't remember what I did to stop it... I may have had to pick the unit up and drop it a few times to knock out the bubbles... just from 3-4 inches up mind you. Oh have you tried lifting all the pipes coming out of the cannister up over top of the cannister so that the lowest point is the cannister? Sometimes there is air in the lines right where they leave the cannister. Also if all the clamps are not done up real tight some air could be getting in around the cannister top...? Sorry I can't be more helpful they are a simple unit which is what I love about them!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamra View Post
Hmmm I've got 2 of them and no micro-bubbles, plus I have the original downspout. If the tank continues to gurgle I sometimes have to knock it around/tip it to get the air out, then it runs more silently. I did have the bubble problem once but I can't remember what I did to stop it... I may have had to pick the unit up and drop it a few times to knock out the bubbles... just from 3-4 inches up mind you. Oh have you tried lifting all the pipes coming out of the cannister up over top of the cannister so that the lowest point is the cannister? Sometimes there is air in the lines right where they leave the cannister. Also if all the clamps are not done up real tight some air could be getting in around the cannister top...? Sorry I can't be more helpful they are a simple unit which is what I love about them!
Well I am glad yours is working properly. I am going to try lifting the hoses to see if maybe some air is trapped in there. If that doesn't work I am going to call customer service back and talk with a supervisor and see what say. Maybe I can get the unit replaced with something else.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Newbie

That sounds like it must be a defective unit, air is getting in somewhere, it's not unusual for it to happen for awhile but continually?? That sucks! Ask for an exchange or I'd understand if you are just fed up and get something else. The reason I wanted the FX5 was cuz it is/was the strongest/largest internal cannister going, or it was! I would be very curious to know what is out there now with similar strength!!
Old 05-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes it is very frustrating. I plan on calling them today. Hopefully they will send a replacement unit. Whenever I clean it out and start it back up it usually takes a few hours before the bubbles start. I just don't understand it.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok called customer service again and now they want me to send photos of my setup showing the fx5 canister and hoses. They also told me to remove the purigen because it causes problems with there products.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:21 PM   #29

The fx5 is just one big sponge filter and its not designed for other types of media
Old 05-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Now they want pictures as well? As well to take out the purigen. Might as well post it up on their website not to use purigen. It's great they are trying to work & solved the problem, but if there is an updated lid it's for a reason. IMHO CSR should just have sent this out already...Sorry to hear about your problem and hope you get this solved already.

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, fluval, fx5, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com