Fluval FX5 Canister Filter Question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bdonaldson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a fluval fx5 canister filter and this is the first time using it. Actually it's been running for about 4 months now. It's spewing out a ton of tiny bubbles. Is this normal? It wasn't doing it in the beginning when I first started running it.

No there is a fix for that. Fluval has a updated lid that doesn't have the downspout which causes cavitation in the filter, they will ship a new one to you at no cost after you contact customer service(which is fantasic I will add). The other alternative is to simply use a hacksaw and cut it off yourself. I have three FX5's running and they all have the either the downspout cut or the updated lid installed to fix the microbubble issue.

No there is a fix for that. Fluval has a updated lid that doesn't have the downspout which causes cavitation in the filter, they will ship a new one to you at no cost after you contact customer service(which is fantasic I will add). The other alternative is to simply use a hacksaw and cut it off yourself. I have three FX5's running and they all have the either the downspout cut or the updated lid installed to fix the microbubble issue.

Thank you so much for the info. I thought I was loosing my mind. ? I will give them a call today.

I called customer service and they want me to try and change my carbon out. They said they have to exhaust all other solutions before replacing the lid. I will be going to get some more carbon today.

I have all three trays stuffed with Biomax and a blue medium pad on the bottom tray. Carbon really isn't needed unless your trying to remove tannins or medications, I'd save you money on the stuff.

I have all three trays stuffed with Biomax and a blue medium pad on the bottom tray. Carbon really isn't needed unless your trying to remove tannins or medications, I'd save you money on the stuff.

Ok I will just take the carbon out and replace it with blue medium pad and see what happens.

Ok I will just take the carbon out and replace it with blue medium pad and see what happens.

If you like carbon get purigen, lasts up to a couple months to a year depending on bioload. The best part, you can keep recharging it with bleach once it discolors.

Ok called Hagen customer service and they wanted me to try taking out the carbon first to see if the flow through the canister is being blocked. I asked her if they could just send me a new lid for it and she said they have to exhaust all other possibilities first. UGH. So I unplug the canister open the lid after I drain some of the water out and I took the carbon out put the lid back on plugged it in and a couple hours later I still have micro bubbles.

Needless to say I am calling them back this morning to see if they will send me the replacement lid now or find out if I have to jump through some more hoops.

That's strange, both times I called about mine to discuss microbubbles they asked what I was using for media but immediately sent out the updated lids.

Ok talked with customer service again and this time they asked me about my setup. They asked me if my hoses go straight up to the tank and one does and the other one I left long because its reaching over to the other side of the tank. The hose droops down almost to the floor. She said that is what is causing the micro bubbles. She said that it cause air to get trapped in the hose. She advised me to shorten the hose to fit the tank and to leave about 4 inches under water to connect the intake. So I have a little more work to do when I get home besides getting ready for a trip.

Ok talked with customer service again and this time they asked me about my setup. They asked me if my hoses go straight up to the tank and one does and the other one I left long because its reaching over to the other side of the tank. The hose droops down almost to the floor. She said that is what is causing the micro bubbles. She said that it cause air to get trapped in the hose. She advised me to shorten the hose to fit the tank and to leave about 4 inches under water to connect the intake. So I have a little more work to do when I get home besides getting ready for a trip.

I could see that as a possibility. The fluval hose design itself is ridiculous with the ribbed nonsense all it does is harbor organic crap

Well got back from San Antonio late last night. My Grandson graduated from the Airforce basic training. My fluval fx5 is spewing micro bubbles again. Guess I will be calling customer service again. Maybe this time they will send the new lid.

Called customer service for the third time. They discontinued the replacement lid for the fx5 and now it was suggested that I clear all the air out of my hoses to see if that helps. If that doesn't work I am calling back and talking to a supervisor. If I had know I would be going through all this I never would have purchased this unit. This is so frustrating.

I would just cut the down spout off as flush as you can, this is basically what the updated lid is. I've down this a few times for friends and cures the microbubbles.

This may sound stupid but where is the downspout? Is it inside the unit?

Yes it's the long tube that carries the water to the bottom of the canister, the way it's designed it created cavitation in the canister. These are not my pictures, just from google images.

Before.

img_2476399_0_c104746ee3b0ea55eec08343a8777869.jpg

After:

img_2476399_1_d52e9227600560b5b8bf2a7281831ade.jpg

Back
Top Bottom