Fluval FX5 - Dirt pushed into tank after cleaning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ardynas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just cleaned my FX5 and when I started it backup, all of this crap got pushed into my tank. Really grossed me out!

The impeller is supposed to have a self cleaning feature but I don't want it to dump the dirt into my freshly cleaned tank! :huh:

Is there an easy way to purge this dirt out without taking the whole Pump apart?

Thanks!

I noticed that too when I turned on my new-to-me Magnum 350. After doing maintenance I always put a pitcher under the output to catch the dirt. Usually it is only a few seconds and it runs clear.

The easiest way is to cover the output with a net or piece of nylon to catch the gunk from when it starts back up. It clears up within a few seconds.

+1 on the responses. That seems to be crap that builds up in the hoses. The initial burst of water breaks it loose and sends it into your tank.

It's most likely dirty water left over from when you cleaned it. When you clean out your tank and filter set aside a bucket of "clean" water from the tank. After you cleaned out the filter dump out the water left inside the filter and pour the water from bucket into the filter. Shouldn't have any debris come out of it when you start it up.

Hi i have a similar problem with my Fluval 405 and believe its muck built up in the pipes,so annoying to see all that muck dumped into your tank after cleaning the filter:banghead: Any idea's on how to clean the pipes - the crinkly ones fitted to Fluvals - is the FX5 fitted with the same type of pipes?

I'm telling you guys unless you are cleaning out the dirty water from your filters after cleaning it, that's where the gunk in coming from not your pipes.

Thanks for the responses!

I was thinking along the lines of what Mogurako is saying. Was under the impression that the gunk is coming from the filter.

I did rinse the filter with clean tank water and even opened the lower valve and let it drain thru. That's why I was thinking it must have been trapped in the impeller.

Ardynas said:
Thanks for the responses!

I was thinking along the lines of what Mogurako is saying. Was under the impression that the gunk is coming from the filter.

I did rinse the filter with clean tank water and even opened the lower valve and let it drain thru. That's why I was thinking it must have been trapped in the impeller.

I rinse the sponges, all the media and the inside of the filter with water from the tank and I haven't had a problem with gunk coming out.

It's 'mulm', and it builds up in the hoses. You can put a brand new filter with brand new media on, but if it's got old hoses, you'll get that. Fluvals are the worst, with their ribbed tubing, but my XP3 and Eheim did/do the same thing. I've found that running a few gallons out of the hoses from the bottom helps a lot.

mfdrookie516 said:
It's 'mulm', and it builds up in the hoses. You can put a brand new filter with brand new media on, but if it's got old hoses, you'll get that. Fluvals are the worst, with their ribbed tubing, but my XP3 and Eheim did/do the same thing. I've found that running a few gallons out of the hoses from the bottom helps a lot.

The only time I've noticed the "mulm" coming out of hoses is if the filter sits off for hours on end, like when I am moving tanks. What would make it loosen up if you're just doing routine cleaning?

Honestly, I'm not sure. It may be determined by a lot of factors as well, which could be the reason you don't see it, but I have on every canister I've kept. I forgot to mention that I've found easing the valves open when starting up a filter, vs just opening them at once or leaving them open and plugging it in, seems to really cut back as well. I'd say that if you cut open your hoses, you'd see some in yours as well.

I didn't use the ribbed hoses that came with the fx5 since they were slightly short so mine aren't ribbed.

Trying to catch it with a net is almost a waste of time. Catching it with a pitcher or bucket sounds better. Really need to grab the water with it as it comes out.
I never thought that there would be that much stuff coming out of those hoses.

My 405 does it too, I have a Rena on the same tank and it only happens with the Fluval.

I always empty the filter water, rinse everything in tank water and scrub the surfaces but it still happens. I hadn't thought of using a bucket to catch it, good idea.

It happens to my canister as well. My hoses are clear-green, so I can see the gunk buildup inside of them. Whenever I purge air bubbles from the canister it knocks loose some of this junk.

Back
Top Bottom