Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Fluval FX5 - Dirt pushed into tank after cleaning!

I just cleaned my FX5 and when I started it backup, all of this crap got pushed into my tank. Really grossed me out!

The impeller is supposed to have a self cleaning feature but I don't want it to dump the dirt into my freshly cleaned tank!

Is there an easy way to purge this dirt out without taking the whole Pump apart?

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I noticed that too when I turned on my new-to-me Magnum 350. After doing maintenance I always put a pitcher under the output to catch the dirt. Usually it is only a few seconds and it runs clear.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The easiest way is to cover the output with a net or piece of nylon to catch the gunk from when it starts back up. It clears up within a few seconds.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Meegosh hit the head-on the nail. I do the same but with a bucket.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #5
Fish R friends, not food!

+1 on the responses. That seems to be crap that builds up in the hoses. The initial burst of water breaks it loose and sends it into your tank.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's most likely dirty water left over from when you cleaned it. When you clean out your tank and filter set aside a bucket of "clean" water from the tank. After you cleaned out the filter dump out the water left inside the filter and pour the water from bucket into the filter. Shouldn't have any debris come out of it when you start it up.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hi i have a similar problem with my Fluval 405 and believe its muck built up in the pipes,so annoying to see all that muck dumped into your tank after cleaning the filter Any idea's on how to clean the pipes - the crinkly ones fitted to Fluvals - is the FX5 fitted with the same type of pipes?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm telling you guys unless you are cleaning out the dirty water from your filters after cleaning it, that's where the gunk in coming from not your pipes.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Thanks for the responses!

I was thinking along the lines of what Mogurako is saying. Was under the impression that the gunk is coming from the filter.

I did rinse the filter with clean tank water and even opened the lower valve and let it drain thru. That's why I was thinking it must have been trapped in the impeller.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardynas
Thanks for the responses!

I was thinking along the lines of what Mogurako is saying. Was under the impression that the gunk is coming from the filter.

I did rinse the filter with clean tank water and even opened the lower valve and let it drain thru. That's why I was thinking it must have been trapped in the impeller.
I rinse the sponges, all the media and the inside of the filter with water from the tank and I haven't had a problem with gunk coming out.

Tags
clean, cleaning, dirt, fluval, fluval fx5, fx5, tan, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com