Fluval FX5-How good are they?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's almost time to upgrade my 125g malawi tank to at least a 220g. I am currently running an fx5 with no problems, love it. :) BUT how good is it really? Like how big of a tank can it handle at most? Or should I just get a 220g tank and not look for larger ones? LOL

I'm trying to do this upgrade without really buying anything but using what I have on the 125g. I will have to add another 60lbs of substrate and have really been considering circulation pumps since we're talking about 6 foot tanks. I have a single koralia 1400 in the 125g now so that it gets some flow.....should I even bother with powerheads?

Thanks everyone! Hope to learn something about freshwater fish :-D

The korolia might be enough to get the waste moving to the filter intake. Keep up with the weekly water changes. It's easier than keeping multiple filtration units. Do a good job siphoning out all the waste.

Get the 200+ gal tank drilled for a sump if possible.

IMO 1 fx5 will handle 75-100g. This is coming from a guy who loves over filtration.

For what its worth, I tried a single FX5 on a 180 fw and while it did the job, it didn't keep it crystal clear like it does the 110. I ended up adding an older fluval canister and a powerhead to get proper circulation.

For what its worth, I tried a single FX5 on a 180 fw and while it did the job, it didn't keep it crystal clear like it does the 110. I ended up adding an older fluval canister and a powerhead to get proper circulation.

Thanks....i don't have a huge bioload in the tank, I think theres 19 fish so the water actually does stay pretty clean usually. I don't intend on adding any more fish after the upgrade either.

I know it's rated for a 400g tank and I know that is just unrealistic. lol
BUT for a lightly stocked tank shouldnt it be ok for half of what its rated for, like 200g?

I only had five fish in my 180 when I added the single and was unhappy with the ciruculation and clarity. On the 110 with a big bioload, the water was (and is) crystal clear but on the larger, it just didn't look polished, if you know what I mean. I don't believe it was ever in danger of being overloaded, the water just didn't sparkle.

The fluval fx5 like all canister filter's do have a slightly less LPH (GPH) as stated on the manufacture website's/booklets etc.. As this is what the flow rate is without media and running with just an empty canister. So the FX5 will be more adequate for tanks of 200G (as you said) but again it depends what your using for media. Its the media that count's IMO as the more/better quality media you have, the bigger the surface area is. Which then means the bigger the bio-load (more stable) the filter can cope with. The ehiem filters are really good as well, even the smaller ones as the media they can have in them and the bioload they can take on is impressive. So why don't you keep the FX5 and get another smaller canister. Just don't over do it with a too big of a filter as that second filter wont be mature and wont build up bacteria to share the bio load, so basically it will be pointless it running (y)

Hmm ok. :) Thanks.

I guess when the time comes I will give it a shot with the fx5 that I have. They are coming down in price but I kinda just wanted to move everything from the 125g to the new tank.

Is the FX5 still the biggest filter out there or are there any others that are comparable?

Thanks again!

Hmm ok. :) Thanks.

I guess when the time comes I will give it a shot with the fx5 that I have. They are coming down in price but I kinda just wanted to move everything from the 125g to the new tank.

Is the FX5 still the biggest filter out there or are there any others that are comparable?

Thanks again!

Some Ehiem filters are a good size but they are pricey in comparison to the Fluval's. Maybe pick up a second hand 1?

Yeah, I keep my eye on craigslist every day all day LOL and have seen very few fx5's on there. :-(
Amazon has them for $226 right now that I guess I will be forced to get another filter. I mean I know the companies overstate the gph but saying it does 400g and in reality it's only good for like a 100 gallon tank seems like it's way way wrong......

I keep the media simple in my canisters. Biomedia, biomedia, carbon sometimes and filter floss or the blue pads that are like huge sponges.

If the above is true though, even 2 fx5's won't be enough to do a 200-300g tank. :-(

What the heck do people do when they have a really large tank?

An Fx5 will be more than adequate for tanks of 300G its just its flow rate is lower than stated. 2 Will be fine on 200G tank but that depends again on how much stock your going to be adding. If your only having a few fish 2 Fx5's will be overkill.

Sump :D that's what most people have when they get the larger set-up's.

LOL I've got enough sumps in my house wanna keep the freshwater tanks simple. :-D

The minimum size I will get will be a 200g, I'd like a bit bigger but it all depends on craigslist and what comes available when.

And no more freshwater fish, we are good. So we will only have 19 or so fish. I'd really like to be able to get away with just one fx5. I also run a 1400 koralia on the side opposite the output. I still have 2 1400's in the box that I might be able to use if needed.

Back
Top Bottom