fluval fx5 media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coffeetwitch

Aquarium Advice Addict
im setting up a 125 gallon tank and planing on a fluval fx5 to start off and when i can, i will probably purchase a second one. i will be filling the baskets with bio filtration only... my question is this, i would like to use eheim substrat but somewhere i read that it may cause problems. the website never said another word about it... so what problems would it cause?

also, as i have not purchased the filter yet, im uncertain if the the eheim substrat will fall through the baskets. i know for a fact that it does fine in the 405 and 305 baskets. will anyone that has this set up care to chime in?

thanks

one more thing. how many 1L boxes do i need to fill it up? im counting 6 of them to fill up fluval's advertised 5.9L biological volume. is this correct?

thanks again.

coffeetwitch said:
im setting up a 125 gallon tank and planing on a fluval fx5 to start off and when i can, i will probably purchase a second one. i will be filling the baskets with bio filtration only... my question is this, i would like to use eheim substrat but somewhere i read that it may cause problems. the website never said another word about it... so what problems would it cause?

also, as i have not purchased the filter yet, im uncertain if the the eheim substrat will fall through the baskets. i know for a fact that it does fine in the 405 and 305 baskets. will anyone that has this set up care to chime in?

thanks

I use the Ehiem Substrat Pro in my Fluval 305 and it works great, with zero issue of it falling thru the baskets. I use it in all my filters (can, HOB & intank) actually.

In my 305, I fill the bottom basket with poly-fil to catch gunk the sponges can't and it keeps the ESPro free of junk so the bacteria can develop/thrive better.

Im running eheim in both of my 305's and 405's. Thats how i knew for a fact. Also havent had a problem with much or any waste getting past the mechanical filter. I will say i have not had those filters long, so i will keep an eye on that. Thank you for mentioning that.

Any one running eheim in their fluval fx5's?

the site i read that it was sometimes problematic was for fx5 mods. Of which i plan on pulling the split return nozzle and replacing it with a single 1" 90. maybe the vinyl hose mod. But that one may wait until its first maintenace.

The wife says i tinker too much some times.

ive been doing more looking with google and found more than one thread on another forum saying that it will take a little less than 6 boxes of 1L each to fill the fluval fx5 to capacity with eheim sustrat pro. more people than not said nothing of having to put it in a filter bag and that it can be put directly into the media baskets with little to no reduction in flow. one person did say that a few pieces fell threw to his impeller, so maybe check your bottom tray before plugging it in. also ebay currently has 5 liter packs (eheim part number 2510751) listed for about $70 free shipping.

oh and another fun little tid bit that i didnt know... to switch to a smooth wall tubing, its 1" inside diameter vinyl hose.

so i hope this helps anyone on this site that was wondering the same as me.

eheim substrat pro in a fluval fx5

Back
Top Bottom