Fluval FX5 micro bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello. I just want to know if I can run the FX5 without the filter pad. I think when it gets clogged it creates micro bubbles. Can I just take the pad out? Thanks.

I don't run any pads in mine with every tray filled with Biomax and still had microbubbles. Fluval has a updated lid to prevent them. The new lid doesnt have the down spout suction tube. They provided 3 to me free of charge and this cured my problem.

HUKIT said:
I don't run any pads in mine with every tray filled with Biomax and still had microbubbles. Fluval has a updated lid to prevent them. The new lid doesnt have the down spout suction tube. They provided 3 to me free of charge and this cured my problem.

You contacted them and they gave you those for free?

Yeah I'm running 3 FX/5's at the moment and explained what kind of media I was using and of course I using 6 boxes of Biomax per filter with no pads or carbon if any kind. They didn't ask for serial numbers, receipts or proof of chase(all of which I had from eBay) and they even sent them express shipping for th le total price of $0.00. Customer service was great and this solved my problems, also make sure your no overtly ting the lid too which can warp the lower housing and create air leaks. I tighten all mine like I'm installing a tire and just criss cross bolts and just snug.

That's also what I do when I put the lid on.

When I attached the filter to my CO2 reactor, there is no more micro bubbles. Except for the CO2 bubbles.

Where can you find the serial number? Just in-case they ask for it. I don't want to move the filter. The micro bubbles might come back again. I'll ask for a new lid. So, that is what making the bubbles? Good thing they fixed and are willing to replace the lids. Thanks for the information.

I have the same problem with my Filstar XP 3. It had stopped for a while then I did my water change and started right up again.

roydooms said:
You contacted them and they gave you those for free?

Im curious - is that (the absence of the downspout) the only difference in the new lid? Could one just remove that downspout?

I skimmed through the thread but I have a huge micro bubble issue with my fx5. I've cleaned everything and thought it might be debris in the water so I added an AC 110 with filter floss. I unplugged my 2 Rena 300 pumps, didn't help. I unplugged the fx5 and the micro bubbles went away and the water was amazingly clear!! I don't have dirty water by any means but micro bubbles just ruin a nice show tank.

I plug the fx5 back in... And bam!! Micro bubble city!! Drives me crazy!!

I'll be watching this thread closely for advice and answers.

OBEYtheFISH said:
What kind of reactor do you have on your Fx5?

Reactor? I'm sorry I don't know what that means. It's a stock fx5 with pre filter rings and then 2 trays of bio media rings and the sponges around all 3 trays. The stock inlet and outlet.

Convict2161 said:
I skimmed through the thread but I have a huge micro bubble issue with my fx5. I've cleaned everything and thought it might be debris in the water so I added an AC 110 with filter floss. I unplugged my 2 Rena 300 pumps, didn't help. I unplugged the fx5 and the micro bubbles went away and the water was amazingly clear!! I don't have dirty water by any means but micro bubbles just ruin a nice show tank.
I plug the fx5 back in... And bam!! Micro bubble city!! Drives me crazy!!

I'll be watching this thread closely for advice and answers.

Im having the same issue. I can move it around but it just does it again.

Im curious - is that (the absence of the downspout) the only difference in the new lid? Could one just remove that downspout?

Yes this the only difference, and on my 4th FX-5 I just cut off the downspout before I even added water. The only other thing is not to fill the trays to high, I'm using two boxes of Biomax per tray will a media pad on the lower tray.

HUKIT said:
Yes this the only difference, and on my 4th FX-5 I just cut off the downspout before I even added water. The only other thing is not to fill the trays to high, I'm using two boxes of Biomax per tray will a media pad on the lower tray.

Wow 4!!! Are the all on the same tank? Im gonna start looking for another one.

Back
Top Bottom