Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fluval FX5 - no "BioWheel" - please give me advice

Heya guys!
I have been running two 404's for years with GREAT success on a 120G, and I have 4 wide biowheels incorporated, two on each filter.
The humidity in my house is way too high and we need to either drop it or loose the tank.
So, I have a 150gallon waiting. That one is my old reef tank and has a closed top. I wonder if I can run the FX5 without a bio-wheel. Is this multistager able to do ALL my mechanical and biological filtration? In the end, I hope to have a nice system without the effect of running the biggest humidifier money can buy (the 4 biowheel evaporate 10 Gallons a week).

And if I can run the FX5 as a closed in-line, will I need to run a airstone now since I don't enrich the water with air anymore via my wheels and the splash??

Thank you for your advice,

Götz

Old 05-01-2006, 10:45 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Hi DerGoetz and welcome to AA!

I am confused about the Fluvals. I have the 404 and it does not have a "bio-wheel". It is totally enclosed. Did you install these yourself?

Old 05-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yeah, I retro-fit Biowheels.
http://www.marineland.com/products/c.../con_bwpro.asp

I started out with Emperor system 4 years ago and when I got my 120 Gallon Tank I obvioulsy didnt want to run 3 or 4 of them. So I went ahead and got Fluval 404's.
I learned/heard over the years that aerobic filtration using bio-wheels or rivaling solutions (sponge etc) was what really drove the biological filtration in my tank.

But now I just about had it with the high humidity in my house, its like a tropical garden. And I really want to give that FX5 a try and drop the bio-wheels all together.

Question is: will my tank run just as great (never had one problem in 4 years) without biowheels and on a FX5 instead?

and the follow up question would be: since I do not enrich water with oxygen via wheels and splash anymore, would an airstone that runs 24/7 be necessary (which I guess it will be)?
Old 05-01-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to AA, DerGoetz!

Quote:
Question is: will my tank run just as great (never had one problem in 4 years) without biowheels and on a FX5 instead?
Answer: YES

Quote:
and the follow up question would be: since I do not enrich water with oxygen via wheels and splash anymore, would an airstone that runs 24/7 be necessary (which I guess it will be)?
No, aim the spray bar up to the water's surface. The agitation of the water's surface will allow the needed oxygen to dissolve into the water. Airstones are only helpful in agitating the water's surface. Bubbles released from the airstone do not allow the oxygen to dissolve into the water by the time they hit the surface. All of my tanks 29-80 gallons have canister filters; the filters are quiet and the environment in the tanks is just fishy

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks for clearing that up. The answer to both of your questions is yes. You could also use a spraybar, which will allow you to point the outflow upwards and create some surface agitation that way.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Great advice, thank you guys!
Could you be so kind and point me to a "spraybar" that I could fit on the return?

Fluval makes this one but would the Fluval Spray bar fit on the FX5?
It says 404 max (so far).
Or would that be a DIY part for the FX5?
And what I dont understand is: would this spraybar be installed under water and point up, as you said?
Or would it be hovering above the water and spray into the water and therefore cause tons of evaporation of water?

I mean, it looks easy enougth to make but what about evaporation now? I try to get away from loosing a lot of water and having high humidity. Hmm....
Old 05-01-2006, 04:19 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

You may have to contact Hagen for the details. The FX5 is fairly new. If you were using it, the installation can go in any direction the user desires while submerged. You can turn it in so many different ways to allow as much or as little surface agitation as you want. I have absolutely no evaporation to speak of using this method.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Oh, I understand. You are saying that the surface agitation alone will be enough to supply oxygen to the fish?
It would be easy for me to build a spray bar myself, I am a seasoned Reef guy.
That would be great since I am planning to run Tunze pumps anyways and dont need the flow coming from the Return of the FX5 at all.
I am a stong believer in current, I witnessed first hand in my FW tank WHAT a difference flow makes, my fish are very active, very happy and even spawn ever since I dropped a BIG Rio in my tank.

Further, I plan to use the center overflow box as a feed to the FX5. I will close the bulkheads and instead drop the intake of the FX5 into the overflow box. That should work, shouldnt it? Since the Overflow box will be filled with water all the way up to the slots. Has anyone done/seen this working and has advice on this, as well?

Hope I am not posting too many questions here, haha!
Old 05-01-2006, 06:10 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
would this spraybar be installed under water and point up, as you said?
Or would it be hovering above the water and spray into the water and therefore cause tons of evaporation of water?
Yes to both, but when the spray bar is below the surface, there is little evaporation and the tank stays quieter (big deal to those that like peace and quiet).
Quote:
You are saying that the surface agitation alone will be enough to supply oxygen to the fish?
Yes
The spray bar is the long tube with holes on it.

Overflow boxes and the rest are too technical for me. JC checks in often and may have advice.

Quote:
Hope I am not posting too many questions here, haha!
There's no such thing!

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Further, I plan to use the center overflow box as a feed to the FX5. I will close the bulkheads and instead drop the intake of the FX5 into the overflow box. That should work, shouldnt it? Since the Overflow box will be filled with water all the way up to the slots.
This is more in the realm of salties who use overflow boxes, sumps/fuges, etc. There are a few of us freshies that do use and have knowledge of them. Perhaps tossing this question in the equipment forum could yield some qualified answers. Menagerie gives me much too much credit.

Tags
bio, eel, fluval, fluval fx5, fx5, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com