Fluval FX5 Scared of canister filters...Help?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
First off I now own two canister filters one needs a little part on the intake so the end piece doesn't fall off and the thing sucks up my fish.

The FX5 goes with my 72G Bow Front and just to be honest I am scared of it. I have been seeding my filter pads and media for months and excited to have a wonderous BB center but and I am scared of a hunk of plastic. The FX5 is supposed to have fittings that wont pop off and flood your house... Scared

Generally I am not a scared person, no way. I don't normally have "issues" with pieces of plastic, and I even built my own trash can filter for my little Koi pond...

Can I get get some support please?

Which media do I put in where? I have 4-5 6"x 8" pads, seeding from 3-5 months. I have a panty hose leg 20" long, 3" across, been in tank seeding for 6 months or more. Added a small box of 24 Eheim Bio-Chem Stars for a couple weeks.

I have a bag of dry bonded bulk filter pad, a carton with half of a container of carbon, some chunky white rock things, are in storage so can't say exactly the name. Some misc stuff came with the tank so I will look at it in the next day or two.

What else do I need?

I need to place the canister behind and under the tank in the cabinet set intake and out flow tubes, add the media in which ever order fill with water, and snap shut and of course plug in? What else?

This thing is huge...does anyone have some tips and pointers for me?

I will have a heavily planted tank with Eco-Complete and pretty coarse Garnet sand.

go to Drs. Foster and Smith site and in the search look at fluval fx5 and you can down load full instructions for it. Should tell you how to arrange all of your media and such. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the encouragement all!

Was so blessed to get it. It came with the entire set up for my 72G Oceanic with actual stand, some sand, standard but plant growing light bulbs (3+1 actinic) a standard hood, spotless clean everything, all associated tank keeping things like a python, nets, decos, air pump and this amazing looking pump for $200. for everything. Guy is in college out of the military and didn't have room and time to keep up with it, no place to store it so I got it. Sooooooo happy.

Will watch the videos - and got the manual downloaded so I will be ready to go. Finally. I need to do one more coat of paint where the tank goes.

*** ??? Any recommendations for the filter media. Favorite selection or other ones to stay away from?***

I've got floss, ceramic rings, polishing pads in mine. And bio balls. You can put just about anything you want

Good, I will be watching for any other tips.

Thanks, it should be several days before I get it done, I have a back log on projects which need action. Story of my life lol!

To tell the truth the FX5 is not a great filter in many ways

1. It has hardly any bio media to tell the truth is just like a sponge filter with high turn over

2. It gets clogged up fast and you will need to clean it very often killing all the good bacteria

3. It eats power compaired to a eheim yes a eheim may cost more to buy but if you think eheim are very well made compared to the FX5 and a eheim can last 10 years + the power consumption is a factor

But hey you have the fx5 so use it

Back
Top Bottom