Fluval FX5 vs Eheim Pro 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarf

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I'm having a bit of problems finding reviews about these 2 cannister filters (Fluval FX5 and Eheim Pro 3). I don't know whether it is because the models are newer or something else.

I'm thinking of buying one of these filters. Although price is not really an issue, I would want to buy the Eheim if its features (ie durability, quality, rated performance, etc) are indeed worth the price difference.

With the lack of reviews, I don't know if these current models match the quality of the past.

Was hoping someone could give me some input.

TIA

Ive heard very little news yet about the FX5 and I'm not even sure if I have ever heard of the Pro 3 so yea you might be looking at some very new hardware..
but Zagz has the FX5 right now.. :p
I looked it up on the canadian version of the hagan site (its not available on the us yet) and the stats are wild, almost 1000 gph! 8O
maybe you can get some stats from Eheim's site??? and compare data?

and I honestly dont think quality will be the issue.. there quality isnt going to be going down with the current competition.. it would be disasterous for business. and Fluval and Eheim to the best of my knologe have always had exceptional quality.

So far my Fluval FX5 has been up and running just over a week.What an awesome filter so far! It moves the water around like crazy. The fish are addicted to swimming in the current. Tank gunk has been reduced quite a bit as well. Have never tried the Eheim but the Fluval is easy to set up, easy to clean, has huge media baskets, they just lift out. It is completely dummy proof set up (thank goodness 8O ). So far I am completely satisfied. Will let you know if I am still satisfied once I clean it LOL.

the website I'm looking at is in metric and after conversion, it is around 450gph for the Eheim 3.

I thought it had been out a bit longer and people had already a fair idea about the stats.

Well the price difference between the 2 is quite a bit so I think I might opt for the FX5. I might as well buy it since I'm overseas and lug it back home. It's like a US$70 saving compared to the cheapest place I know at home.

What is this for? I hope a project tank that's not in your sig. that would be WAY too much filter for anything you have down there now.. LOL
maybe the new fangdangled filter isnt nessisary?

the eheim is more expensive per GPH.. we dont know much about them cuz we dont have the uber bucks to buy eheim pro's.. Ive never had one and Ive been in the hobby for the relise of there entire pro series.. I remember when the eheim classic was the eheim and they went for up to 400 bucks for the huge one.. 8O
so yea.. not the filter system for me.. I havnt even seen them up for grabs used.. oh well.

yea its a project tank. I'm thinking of getting a 4-5 footer with around 100g's. So I would kinda need the boost in filtration. 25x filtration is a bit overkill...

I'm probably leading towards the fluval. Oh well, I have one last day to decide before I fly back.

Back
Top Bottom