Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Good Luck! Let us know what you deicde.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alright, assuming I did go with the FX5, what kind of media should I get?? I was thinking about it, and whichever one I end up with (and right now I'm leaning a little more towards the FX5), I better know what kind of media I want beforehand, otherwise I'd just have to trust a new employee at a new store that I've never been to...

Oh and even though cost is obviously a factor for me, I'd be willing to pay more for media if it means I can get this filter set up right the first time (i.e. I'd be willing to buy ceramic rings over cheaper stuff, etc...)

And also, in my browsing online, I haven't seen all that many people mention putting Activated Carbon in their canister filters. Is there any reason for this?

I want to try and get everything I'm going to need all on that one trip so that I could take advantage of the store's opening weekend promotions.

Please excuse all my noobish questions! This is my first canister

Old 07-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Carbon doesn't really do slot that water changes can't, I haven't used any in years so I would skip it. As far as media goes I use 2 boxes of Fluvals Biomax in each tray with nothing else.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUKIT View Post
Carbon doesn't really do slot that water changes can't, I haven't used any in years so I would skip it. As far as media goes I use 2 boxes of Fluvals Biomax in each tray with nothing else.
Thanks you!! And my water's been nice and clear, though to be completely honest, I have no way of knowing whether it's the water changes (once weekly) or the carbon, but I think I'll just try going carbonless this time and see how it goes.

One last question about the carbon though, do your tanks start smelling "fishy" at all without it? Or is that just a sales pitch to get you to buy carbon? I only ask because this is right in the living room where we go to watch TV so any odor could really be a problem lol
Old 07-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I don't notice any odors from any of my tanks, I perform 50-70% weekly water changes on all my tanks and I've got some of the biggest water fouling fish that swim.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #16

I have used both (not the largest Marineland one, but the smaller ones) and would definitely go with the FX5. The marineland biomedia doesn't seem porous at all, they have bioballs (not ideal for any submerged use), and have weak flow (again, the smaller ones, haven't used the largest first hand). The FX5 has definitely proven itself over and over, I haven't seen any examples of that with the Marineland.

My FX5 has filter floss crammed in the center of the top tray, as tight as I can get it. I would put Seachem Matrix in the other two trays.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yea, at this point it's really seeming like the FX5 would be worth the extra money. Either way I'll let all you guys know how it goes come Saturday.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jcolon Send a message via Skype™ to jcolon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patterson333 View Post
Yea, at this point it's really seeming like the FX5 would be worth the extra money. Either way I'll let all you guys know how it goes come Saturday.
I've been following this and let us know ... I'm looking to do an FX5 when I jump into a 120gal .. even though it's prob a year away.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I got the FX5! And man is this thing a beast. Construction seems top notch. Like I said earlier, I've never had a canister before, so I don't have much to compare it to, but that said, all the components seem tough and really well made.

Unfortunately I won't have time to set it up today, but I'll update you guys once I do. Oh and I got it for a nice $185, brand new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1371440962.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	43968   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3854628449.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	43969  

Old 07-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Grats! You cant go wrong with the fluval.

Tags
fluval, fluval fx5, fx5, marineland, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com