Fluval FX5 vs. Marineland C-530

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patterson333

Aquarium Advice Freak
A new pet store is opening near me, and for their grand opening event this weekend, they've got some awesome promotions going on, so I figured now would be the time to get that canister filter I've wanted.

I can get awesome deals on two filters. Either the Marineland C-530 for $160, or the Fluval FX5 for $190. I've read a lot of good things on the FX5, but on the Marineland C-530 there's not really all that much (positive or negative). That said, what little I have read seems to point to an emerging consensus that the C-530 could certainly compete with the FX5.

What do you guys think? Which should I go for?

I'll warn you beforehand, I've got a bit of a bias for the Marineland C-530, just because of the price (as it is $160 is a good deal of money for me). But I'm still open to suggestions, and if the Fluval is worth the extra $30 I'll go for it.

Last night I was reasearching them (super hard to find trustable reviews online) rhe marineland is a bit more noisey, but I've read its deff. Worth it. I'm excited to see what you choose

Haha thanks! Yea I'm not all that concerned about the noise. I had an Emperor 400 for quite a while and man that thing was noisy, but given that this canister filter would be inside my cabinet, I don't think it'd be too much of a problem.

So you vote for the Marineland?

Yes. It appears is louder, but that is most likley due to the super good job filtering it does. Hopefully someone with experience with this will jump in, I plan on going 'can veryvery soon

There's really no comparison between the two IMO, the Fluval has much more room for media, a higher flow rate, it's quieter, and the company has much better customer service. Keep in mind most advertised flow rates are without media so compare 900 to 530gph with the C-530(they claim media is included with their flow but personally feeling the rate it did not seem that way to me), it's like comparing apple to oranges in this case. The hoses, fittings, and overall feel of the C-530 just feels cheap. Also keep in mind the Fluval does not come with media so that's a additional cost of around $60.00 for Biomax or I've used Bioballs or pot scrubbies in mine as well.

Last edited:
I also researched the two a few months back and ended up going with the Fluval. I can say it is very quiet and keeps my 125g tank of cichlids clean. The only thing I don't like is it's so darn big, it comes up to my knees. LOL

But once I get it out of the cabinet for it's cleaning it's clear sailing. It comes apart and goes back together really well and quickly making maintenence not a hard task.

I've not seen the FX5 for less than $234 so it's an excellent deal. And as mentioned above, if you do get it make sure to have your filter media on hand ie: bio media of your choice and filter floss or pads. :)

HUKIT said:
There's really no comparison between the two IMO, the Fluval has much more room for media, a higher flow rate, it's quieter, and the company has much better customer service. Keep in mind most advertised flow rates are without media so compare 900 to 530gph with the C-530(they claim media is included with their flow but personally feeling the rate it did not seem that way to me), it's like comparing apple to oranges in this case. The hoses, fittings, and overall feel of the C-530 just feels cheap. Also keep in mind the Fluval does not come with media so that's a additional cost of around $60.00 for Biomax or I've used Bioballs or pot scrubbies in mine as well.

Alright, just called up the store and they pretty much confirmed what you said about the Fluval not coming with media. But the salesperson I spoke to told me that the Marineland includes it all. That might put the Fluval out of my reach, costwise... As I'd be looking at a total of $90 over the price of the Marineland.

After what you said though, I'm going to try to see if I can manage to get the extra $90, though to be completely honest I'm not all that sure that I could..

Oh and if I do end up with the Marineland, I'll try my best to do a little cheapy DIY test on the flow rate with media inside (I'm thinking two buckets elevated 4ft and a stopwatch)

The C-530 does not come with any ceramic media either only bioballs and carbon, there's empty trays that are recommended to be filled with some, although it would cost less to fill than the Fluval it's still another expense.

I also researched the two a few months back and ended up going with the Fluval. I can say it is very quiet and keeps my 125g tank of cichlids clean. The only thing I don't like is it's so darn big, it comes up to my knees. LOL

But once I get it out of the cabinet for it's cleaning it's clear sailing. It comes apart and goes back together really well and quickly making maintenence not a hard task.

I've not seen the FX5 for less than $234 so it's an excellent deal. And as mentioned above, if you do get it make sure to have your filter media on hand ie: bio media of your choice and filter floss or pads. :)

Yea this is actually for a 55G African Cichlid tank with almost all male Peacocks. But I hope to upgrade to a 125G someday so I figured investing in a high end canister filter would be a good idea in the long run (especially at these prices). :D

The C-530 does not come with any ceramic media either only bioballs and carbon, there's empty trays that are recommended to be filled with some, although it would cost less to fill than the Fluval it's still another expense.

Hmm... That actually changes things up a little bit. I'll do some side by side comparisons of the prices come this Saturday at the store, and I'll make my decision then.

Alright, assuming I did go with the FX5, what kind of media should I get?? I was thinking about it, and whichever one I end up with (and right now I'm leaning a little more towards the FX5), I better know what kind of media I want beforehand, otherwise I'd just have to trust a new employee at a new store that I've never been to...

Oh and even though cost is obviously a factor for me, I'd be willing to pay more for media if it means I can get this filter set up right the first time (i.e. I'd be willing to buy ceramic rings over cheaper stuff, etc...)

And also, in my browsing online, I haven't seen all that many people mention putting Activated Carbon in their canister filters. Is there any reason for this?

I want to try and get everything I'm going to need all on that one trip so that I could take advantage of the store's opening weekend promotions.

Please excuse all my noobish questions! This is my first canister :ermm:

Carbon doesn't really do slot that water changes can't, I haven't used any in years so I would skip it. As far as media goes I use 2 boxes of Fluvals Biomax in each tray with nothing else.

Carbon doesn't really do slot that water changes can't, I haven't used any in years so I would skip it. As far as media goes I use 2 boxes of Fluvals Biomax in each tray with nothing else.

Thanks you!! And my water's been nice and clear, though to be completely honest, I have no way of knowing whether it's the water changes (once weekly) or the carbon, but I think I'll just try going carbonless this time and see how it goes.

One last question about the carbon though, do your tanks start smelling "fishy" at all without it? Or is that just a sales pitch to get you to buy carbon? I only ask because this is right in the living room where we go to watch TV so any odor could really be a problem lol

I don't notice any odors from any of my tanks, I perform 50-70% weekly water changes on all my tanks and I've got some of the biggest water fouling fish that swim.

I have used both (not the largest Marineland one, but the smaller ones) and would definitely go with the FX5. The marineland biomedia doesn't seem porous at all, they have bioballs (not ideal for any submerged use), and have weak flow (again, the smaller ones, haven't used the largest first hand). The FX5 has definitely proven itself over and over, I haven't seen any examples of that with the Marineland.

My FX5 has filter floss crammed in the center of the top tray, as tight as I can get it. I would put Seachem Matrix in the other two trays.

Yea, at this point it's really seeming like the FX5 would be worth the extra money. Either way I'll let all you guys know how it goes come Saturday.

Yea, at this point it's really seeming like the FX5 would be worth the extra money. Either way I'll let all you guys know how it goes come Saturday.

I've been following this and let us know ... I'm looking to do an FX5 when I jump into a 120gal .. even though it's prob a year away:(.

I got the FX5! And man is this thing a beast. Construction seems top notch. Like I said earlier, I've never had a canister before, so I don't have much to compare it to, but that said, all the components seem tough and really well made.

Unfortunately I won't have time to set it up today, but I'll update you guys once I do. Oh and I got it for a nice $185, brand new.

Attachments

• image-1371440962.jpg
    image-1371440962.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 156
  • image-3854628449.jpg
    image-3854628449.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 136
Back
Top Bottom