Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Von Devilish
Question Fluval fx5 vs Rena xp4

Needing to get a new filter for my 220 gallon freshwater tank, and I was hoping someone had experience with either the Rena series Canister Filters (specifically the xp4) or the Fluval fx5 canister filter. Any advice would be appreciated or any addtional ideas.

I would like to spend less than 350.00 for the new filter, and these are two that I am considering.

The Fluval is capable of up to 925 gph (rated up to 400 gallon tank) and the Rena is 450 gph (rated to 265 gallon)

I do understand that more filtration is better, but what I'm more looking for Technical experience witht these and if they are good filters.

The tank is 7 ft long by 24 inches deep and 24 inches from front to back. I do not want to drill the tank, pics are in my gallery...

Old 07-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm using an FX5 on my cichlid setup and can't say enough good about it. lol I use fluvals on several of my tanks and find them sturdy, solid and of good workmanship. It's also very easy to customize your media in them as well.

I believe amazon.com has the fx5 for $234 still.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

thanks carey !-

do you know how much filter medium you go through, and what do you recommend for best results to use?

I see tons of different options.

If you look in my bio you can get a complete rundown of all my fish, I gravitate towards Clown loaches, Clown Knifes, and Koi Angel fish, but I also have lots of other fish in that tank as well, (lochata botias loach, Banjo Catfish, Hi fin lace catfish, Plecos, Green severum, Blood Parrot, Oranda, etc etc etc. - real motley crew)
Old 07-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I use mostly biomedia in the trays with some carbon and filter floss. I happen to like running carbon, something you will get differing opinions on. lol

I do a filter maintenance once monthly and haven't had any excess buildup or anything really gross in there. hehe

I have only about 20 africans and 2 blueberry botias. Still a messy tank for feeding time though
Old 07-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I saw some blueberry lochata botias loaches online and did some reasearch on them, and found out that it was similar to mixed fruit tetras, coloration by injection, which can severely shorten life span. Have you had any issues?
Old 07-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #6
Fish R friends, not food!

I currently have both filters. I think the FX5 is the higher flow, and both are just as easy to maintain. If space is an issue, i think the FX5 is a little shorter, but also higher volume. I found the FX5 on ebay for $219 with free shipping. Overall I prefer the FX5. I did have to learn that the flow in the FX5 flows from top to bottom, so the setup of the media is a little backwards, with the course stuff at the top and the fine at the bottom. I agree with Carrie. I use mostly biomedia in mine, pre-filter in the top tray and biomedia in the other two with one fine polishing pad on top of the biomedia in the bottom tray. Hope this helps!
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

additionally, how much does your choice of medium usually cost you for the fx5? (monthly average)
Old 07-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

(thanks for helping, spoonman and Carey)
Old 07-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

There should be no monthly cost for media. Once you get your sponges and ceramic rings in there, they'll last for a very long time. I've had the same sponges and rings in my canisters for almost 2 years now, and they still look brand new (minus the brown staining).

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
Fish R friends, not food!

+1 for Rookie. You shouldnt have to replace media for a long, long time. Just rinse in old tank water when you do water changes and put back in. Biomedia should last forever. Maybe a filter pad here or there, but basically no cost after initial setup.

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canister filters, filters, fluval, fluval filters, fluval fx5, freshwater tank, fx5, rena, rena filters, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com