Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 102
Any info on the FX6.
__________________

__________________
Chev13696 is offline  
Old 04-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 629
If the fx5 is anything to go on the fx6 must be rubbish to

The fx5 faults

1. It's just a big massive sponge filter

2. It's noisy

3. It need to be cleaned to often

4. It has rubbish ribbed pipe you can't connect a UV or inline heater to

5. It costs to much to run

6. Lots of problems with the motor

7. Which isn't a fault but its cheap compared to a eheim 2080 but the build quality shows that


If fluval have leans from this the the fx6 should be great if not then you may as well buy a ehem pro 3 as they do the job better than a fx5
If the fx5 is as good as everyone says then why the need for the fx6

Lets face it the fluval g models was a total flop
__________________

__________________
T1KARMANN is offline  
Old 04-22-2013, 09:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1KARMANN View Post
If the fx5 is anything to go on the fx6 must be rubbish to

The fx5 faults

1. It's just a big massive sponge filter

2. It's noisy

3. It need to be cleaned to often

4. It has rubbish ribbed pipe you can't connect a UV or inline heater to

5. It costs to much to run

6. Lots of problems with the motor

7. Which isn't a fault but its cheap compared to a eheim 2080 but the build quality shows that

If fluval have leans from this the the fx6 should be great if not then you may as well buy a ehem pro 3 as they do the job better than a fx5
If the fx5 is as good as everyone says then why the need for the fx6

Lets face it the fluval g models was a total flop
Do you have the ehem pro 3?
__________________
Chev13696 is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #14
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 629
On my 350g I run 2 x 2080 and 2 x 2078 for 8 years

I had the first 2080 released in the UK

I only cleaned the pre filter and changed the white pad every 6 months I would live to see a fx5 go that long before cleaning my tank was also very heavy stocked

http://youtu.be/JIFEIX06MaE

http://youtu.be/sgUAfGfBnZg
__________________
T1KARMANN is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Convict2161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 14,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1KARMANN View Post
If the fx5 is anything to go on the fx6 must be rubbish to

The fx5 faults

1. It's just a big massive sponge filter

2. It's noisy

3. It need to be cleaned to often

4. It has rubbish ribbed pipe you can't connect a UV or inline heater to

5. It costs to much to run

6. Lots of problems with the motor

7. Which isn't a fault but its cheap compared to a eheim 2080 but the build quality shows that

If fluval have leans from this the the fx6 should be great if not then you may as well buy a ehem pro 3 as they do the job better than a fx5
If the fx5 is as good as everyone says then why the need for the fx6

Lets face it the fluval g models was a total flop
I agree 100% I had nothing but issues with my fx5. I got rod of it and went back to my 2 aqua clear 110's and I'm very happy.

The fx5 for me was a huge pain!! I had replacement parts sent to me twice!!
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 670
I haven't checked the specs on the new one, but almost bought the FX5 filter sometime back, but got the 2080. I read that folks who have them fx5 like them & they have worked for them on big tanks.

With that being said, this is like the issue with the aqua clear that some are having issues witrh in here. Some are having issues with the noise & others say they are silent as can be. Even Eheim forget which model had issues with water leaking for a sealed or an o-ring and that was later fixed.

Now, besides the new motor on this model what else is different?
__________________
Rare is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aski247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Maryland, in between DC an Baltimore.
Posts: 1,095
I have a fx5 on my 135 and its a boss. Considering I could get two of them for the price of a eheim, (or very close to). I'd take the fx5 any day of the week.

And realistically once you start getting into tanks with the sizes that a fx5 or two couldn't handle, you should have a large sumptank anyways...
__________________
Aski247 is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1KARMANN View Post
I only cleaned the pre filter and changed the white pad every 6 months I would live to see a fx5 go that long before cleaning my tank was also very heavy stocked
Basing filter recommendations on how long you can go without cleaning them should not even be considered. That is just horrible fish keeping practices, especially with a "heavy stocked" tank.

As far as the need for a FX6, every manufacturer in the world makes new models of their products. No product is perfect, even ehiems.

I have a 406 and I love the new 6 series. I'm curious to see some factual reports on the FX6, not biased opinions based on experiences with the FX5.
__________________
meegosh is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh View Post

Basing filter recommendations on how long you can go without cleaning them should not even be considered. That is just horrible fish keeping practices, especially with a "heavy stocked" tank.

As far as the need for a FX6, every manufacturer in the world makes new models of their products. No product is perfect, even ehiems.

I have a 406 and I love the new 6 series. I'm curious to see some factual reports on the FX6, not biased opinions based on experiences with the FX5.
That's rubbish the eheim brakes down waste 100 x better than the fx5 which is why it needs less cleaning

As far as I know the fx5 has about 4 cup gulls of bio media the rest is one big sponge filter

The other problem with the fx5 is yes it has good flow but that's about it

I used one for a bit as I feel its not fair to slag something off unless you have used one

I even found the motor on the fx5 was always getting clogged up with gunk as the motor is on the bottom

It's a very bad design the only good thing about it is it cheap

Look

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7080
__________________
T1KARMANN is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #20
AA Team Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1KARMANN View Post
That's rubbish the eheim brakes down waste 100 x better than the fx5 which is why it needs less cleaning

As far as I know the fx5 has about 4 cup gulls of bio media the rest is one big sponge filter

The other problem with the fx5 is yes it has good flow but that's about it

I used one for a bit as I feel its not fair to slag something off unless you have used one

I even found the motor on the fx5 was always getting clogged up with gunk as the motor is on the bottom

It's a very bad design the only good thing about it is it cheap

Look

Discus Forums :: View topic - Eheim 2080 Pro3 vs Fluval FX5 REVIEW FINISHED !
I'm curious why you think the ehiem breaks waste down better? Do you mean it gets passed through the media? The waste won't break down, you have to remove it from the media as part of routine maintenance.

With a more typical maintenance regimen you would probably have less issues with gunk in the motor, of any filter.
__________________

__________________
meegosh is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.