Fluval FX6 Impeller Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gaugedgc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my fx6 all of a sudden started making a loud buzzing noise, sounds like its coming from the pump, ive had my filter for about 2 months now and it was fine until about an hour ago, i want to take off the pump and possible clean out the impeller. will i have to drain the water from the filter to remove the pump? this is my first time ever even using this filter, just looking for some input as to what i should do. has anyone else experienced this problem? please help

Mine did that the last time I cleaned it.

I just took the motor housing apart (using the User Manual) and put it back together again.

No idea why that worked, but it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I had a piece of bio media "escape" that made a rattle! (First time was a real worry)
Now it's easy to diagnose!
It juggles against the impeller blades.

thank everyone, i had to actually take it apart twice, second time doing it and it now works and is even more quiet then before, makes me think its not even on lol, but i did notice it seems like the intake isnt as strong, output seems fine

thank everyone, i had to actually take it apart twice, second time doing it and it now works and is even more quiet then before, makes me think its not even on lol, but i did notice it seems like the intake isnt as strong, output seems fine

Out of interest... How loud is yours?

I know what you said was probably an exaggeration "makes me think it's not even on" but mine is NO WHERE NEAR that quiet.

It's a constant white noise, ridiculously loud unless the TV or something is covering it.

before my problem it was kinda loud, heard alot of water swishing around in the filter, now i have to put my ear close to it to hear it, its a rather big difference

before my problem it was kinda loud, heard alot of water swishing around in the filter, now i have to put my ear close to it to hear it, its a rather big difference

Hmm...

I definitely have no water sloshing, but I can hear it throughout the house.

I wonder if I have a gimpy one.

I just downloaded some free decibel-ometer app to find out just how loud it is.

With my phone on top of the FX6 I got 65dB.

Don't spose you might be able to replicate?

There is a problem!
I run 2 fx5s and the air pump makes more noise than both combined.

I may have exaggerated the noise somewhat.. It was late at night and sounded much louder than during the day.

That 65dB is what I got though, I've emailed Hagen to see what's what.

thats the level i got also, but then again, i turned everything off in the room and before i put my phone up to the filter it was giving me that reading already, only when i spoke the levels went up

thats the level i got also, but then again, i turned everything off in the room and before i put my phone up to the filter it was giving me that reading already, only when i spoke the levels went up

Hmm.. I guess I'm a picky bugger then XD

Is it humming against a wooden cabinet?
Place it on towel?
Mine are on a solid floor. They are not silent but also they are not the loudest thing in the room. The tap makes more noise!

Is it humming against a wooden cabinet?
Place it on towel?
Mine are on a solid floor. They are not silent but also they are not the loudest thing in the room. The tap makes more noise!

It's sitting inside a wooden cabinet.

But it has it's rubber legs, why would a towel make a difference?

Yeah, what they said!
The sound will resonate through the wood, umm, like a guitar body, or a drum, er, violins, pianos, all made of wood for a reason.

Hope that helps!

Yeah, what they said!
The sound will resonate through the wood, umm, like a guitar body, or a drum, er, violins, pianos, all made of wood for a reason.

Hope that helps!

I'll give it a go next time I clean it.

Back
Top Bottom