Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question Fluval G6 External Filter

Hi anyone got a Fluval G6 external filter if so how do you like it?

Old 07-07-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't have one, but have read many reviews on the G series and they're all good. But for the price, it better be lol.

I'm interested to see what others have to say about it .

Old 07-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can spend a whole lot less for the same result IMO... filtration in and of itself is not a complicated process and you don't need all that computerized stuff. That said, it's a pretty cool gadget.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama View Post
You can spend a whole lot less for the same result IMO... filtration in and of itself is not a complicated process and you don't need all that computerized stuff. That said, it's a pretty cool gadget.
I have got one running on my Studio 600 aquarium not having to drag the whole filter to the sink to clean everything is excellent just open the top pull out the mechanical media rinse under tap and place right back in thats it the Tri Ex chemical media has lowered my nitrate to nill and the phosphate to barely noticable,I tested my tap water and the phosphate reading was off the scale but the Tri Ex reduced it.After saying all this I have had trouble with rattling and phone calls to Hagen I was told to pull the priming mechanism apart and use cooking oil around the seal which made no difference so I cleaned the impaller and this seemed to work I hope this has fixed it.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusMental View Post
I have got one running on my Studio 600 aquarium not having to drag the whole filter to the sink to clean everything is excellent just open the top pull out the mechanical media rinse under tap and place right back in thats it the Tri Ex chemical media has lowered my nitrate to nill and the phosphate to barely noticable,I tested my tap water and the phosphate reading was off the scale but the Tri Ex reduced it.After saying all this I have had trouble with rattling and phone calls to Hagen I was told to pull the priming mechanism apart and use cooking oil around the seal which made no difference so I cleaned the impaller and this seemed to work I hope this has fixed it.
I have only had it 2 weeks.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd suggest not rinsing your filter media in tap water, as it will kill all the bacteria every time you do. It's best to do a good rinsing in used tank water from a PWC.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not something I would recommend, but the tap water isn't going to nuke your bio filter on contact. I've rinsed canister media in tap water many, many times.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
It's not something I would recommend, but the tap water isn't going to nuke your bio filter on contact. I've rinsed canister media in tap water many, many times.
I have always rinsed my media in tank water but Hagen said it was allright to rinse the mechanical media under the tap
Old 07-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
I've never done it any other way and have yet to run into a problem.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
external, filter, fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com