Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-05-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fluval questions

I'd like to upgrade to canister filters on my 20 gallon and 29 gallon tanks. So far, the Fluvals seem to be the most affordable for me, so I think I may get a couple. Since I've only used HOBs, I'm not really sure what models to choose- I'm wary of the manufacturer's ratings and want to make sure I have plenty of filtration, as these 2 tanks are heavily stocked.
Would the Fluval 104 (125 gph) be enough for my 20 gallon or should I go ahead and get the 204 (180 gph)? And for the 29 gallon, would I be better off with a 204 (180 gph) or the 304 (260 gph). I overfilter quite a bit (about 10x per hour) with HOBs, but I've heard that's really not necessary with canisters. I'd appreciate any opinions, TIA!

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 07:05 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Welcome to Fluval world Severum mama: Since you like overfiltering, the 204 will be excellent for both tanks. You won't lose too much gph since there's only a 9 gal difference.

Old 06-05-2005, 08:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
Welcome to Fluval world Severum mama: Since you like overfiltering, the 204 will be excellent for both tanks. You won't lose too much gph since there's only a 9 gal difference.
Good pick with the Fluval 204, you are going to love them.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to oscarbreeder
Fluval makes great canisters IMO and I run a 404 along eith an Ocean Clear on my 180.

Fuvals are quiet and very easy to clean. They also hold a ton of media. A 204 would work great on a 20 and 29 gal tank.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/kyman_33/sig.jpg
oscarbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad you asked. If you read the fine print, the Fluvals have two ratings on them. One is the pump capacity, proudly stated in prominent mumbers. The other is the "filter circulation" wich is significantly less and also on the box. Never saw an employee, website, or buyer ever take notice of this, myself included. So here are the numbers right from the fluval owners manual:

Fluval 104 pump = 125gph, filter circulation = 85 gph
Fluval 204 pump = 180gph, filter circulation = 110 gph
Fluval 304 pump = 260gph, filter circulation = 185 gph
Fluval 404 pump = 340gph, filter circulation = 225 gph

The owners manual does not explain why the filter circulation is only about two thirds of the pump output. Is there bypass, where flow goes around the filter so that the biologic baskets have more time with the water? Or does the pump flow out of the nozzle go down when the filter baskets are filled? I don't know.I measured my output, but I added hose length to my fluval, so my measured actual output is lower than someone with shorter hoses and is less than what fluval states. So wich number is the correct one to use??? Don't get me wrong, I love my Fluvals. Have three of them. I just haven't figured out what the ratings mean.

You are both concerned with adequate filtration, and with too much current. I would go with the larger filters, I don't think the fish will mind the current. If its too much, put the nozzle on one end, and point it along the back wall at the other end. there will be a strong current along the back at the top, but gentle current everywhere else.

And like everyone has stated before, you will love having a fluval canister.
HTH
Old 06-06-2005, 01:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
I think the difference is the high gph number is probably the pump rating with now media and at zero head.. the filter circulation number would be through the media and with an average hight, about 2-3 feet.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 104 on my 20 Gal and it does great. I wouldn't go any larger.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for all the replies!
Quote:
I have a 104 on my 20 Gal and it does great. I wouldn't go any larger.
Ah, a different opinion. Can you explain why (sorry, canister newbie)?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I get plenty of circulation and have to slow down the flow rate. No need for a bigger pump when you will just turn it down. I have found that the 104 hold plenty of media for a 20 gal. I use ceramic noodles then a small amount of filter floss in the bottom basket, then biomax in the top..
Old 06-07-2005, 09:38 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I haven't quite decided what to do yet, but I am leaning toward a 104 and a 204 mostly because it is cheaper and I'm broke. Eventually I will upgrade my 35 gallon and 55 gallon tanks as well but that will have to wait for a while. Thanks for all your help guys, and I will keep you updated although I'm sure I will love canisters once I try them.

Tags
fluval, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com