Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fluval spec tank surface scum

Hi - So glad to have found this forum! We have had several aquariums in the past and have never run into this problem so I am assuming it is a tank issue with our new fluval spec v. We bought the aquarium for our son for christmas and its february and still doesn't have fish in it because we can't get rid of the scum/slime buildup on the surface (photo below). We have dumped it, cleaned the tank, pebbles, decor (one new plastic plant and one piece of driftwood both bought new and thoroughly rinsed before use) and the filter system and refilled it several times. Each time the surface scum comes back within a day. Its a lot of scum too; oily/creamy/stringy stuff. We are in a rural area and returning or exchanging the tank is a major hassle we would really like to avoid if we can. Does anyone have any ideas what we can do about this?

Thanks so much
Sean
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0059.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	150954

Old 02-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

:Welcome: to AA! We hope ya enjoy

How long did it take for it to come back after replacing the water. I bet its because its still water and not enough surface movement (to me it looks like there is none). You can add air bubbles for pretty cheap or get a hob filter that will make a little bit of a splash.

What filter do you have on it? Can you lower the water to make a splash or aim the output tubes up to create movement at the surface.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi, thanks for the welcome

Yes we have tried aiming the filter up toward the surface and we still get slime, it just collects around the edges of the tank instead of sitting on the top. We have the filter that it came with, it's kind of a built in 3 stage fluval model.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have the same tank and I get this too!!! What is this?!?
Old 02-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelLover View Post
I have the same tank and I get this too!!! What is this?!?
You have fish in yours right? How about bubbles?

The only thing that I can think of would be not enough surface movement. Whitch a built in filter wouldn't probably do very good with that. You can also try putting a small power head in the tank at the top.

Otherwise I'm not sure and haven't seen this before. Maybe someone else will chime in
Old 02-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McFadden View Post

You have fish in yours right? How about bubbles?

The only thing that I can think of would be not enough surface movement. Whitch a built in filter wouldn't probably do very good with that. You can also try putting a small power head in the tank at the top.

Otherwise I'm not sure and haven't seen this before. Maybe someone else will chime in
I have one betta and it's fully cycled... I have the filter pointed at the surface but can't put it on full force or my betta swirls around the tank lol. I get this slight film at the opposite end of the filter where there is not much surface agitation. A air stone would probably help but it doesn't bother me too much, it's only noticeable when looking for it
Old 02-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So you think it is alright to put his glowlight tetras in? We have them in his sister's regular tank right now.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lankysean View Post
So you think it is alright to put his glowlight tetras in? We have them in his sister's regular tank right now.
Well whatever the film is seems to be harmless (considering our films are the same) but I believe glowlights will need more space than the spec will provide as they are active swimmers and need to be kept in groups. Someone correct me if I am wrong!

Tags
fluval, fluval spec, spec, surface, tan, tank, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com