Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2009, 10:13 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use two different heaters only, two tronics for my fry tanks and a visitherm stealth for my big tank.

Petsolutions.com has the visitherms for under 25 bucks, all models.

petsmart has them for 40 bucks. I got my tronics from eBay. 10 bucks a piece shipped w/ combined shipping.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm using a visitherm that i bought as a back up 15 years ago and it works great. It's new but old.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

kensfish.com has the stealth heaters for $22 and under.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:01 AM   #14
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoST View Post
I left a link for the manual in my post if you go and read it it specifically states in the manual Do not submerge:Water level must never be over water level mark on the housing. Go read it and get back to me. For all intensive purposes all heaters are and have to be submersible to a certain degree( IE in the water). That statement above kept me from buying them.
Also check out the description on Dr Foster & Smith Aquarium Heaters: Jäger Temperature Sensor Automatic Heaters
It says the same thing.

I did read what you posted. Did you see the link on mine?
3rd bullet down:
The heater can be fully immersed, is protected against running dry and is suitable for fresh or marine water.

And as I said. I have 2 of the old green Ebos running in 2 of our tanks. I've always had Ebos until Eheim bought them out. That's why I'm trying to find the REAL Ebos for our other tanks. I have never had a problem with them. The one we have in our 20L was given to us by my boyfriends sister, right out of her SW tank. It is horizontal to the gravel and at gravel level. The one in the 29 was brand new, but 7 years old. I never took it out of the box until last year. It's also fully submersed and doing just fine.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:34 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I understand you have never had a problem with yours and that yours are fully submersible but they aren't being manufactured anymore, I remember that nasty green looking thing, yuck. I just got done outfitting my 120 FOWLR and did tons of research on everything I needed to get, this is the only reason why I was aware of the Jager not being fully submersible. I did read your link and it is very misleading the 3rd bullet down. I prefer to follow the manual prepared by the engineers rather than what's written on the box by the marketing people. Someone should point it out to Eheim because IMO it's false advertising, maybe I'll write them an Email later, they may listen and let us know 100% what the deal is. Until then I will not go near them.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Newbie

hmm thats an interesting point you bring up kieth...

I agree that the manual and other sources are misleading lol, anyone with the modern Jagers know which is so?

Im In New Zealand so cant take advantage of alot of the deals mentioned in earlier posts unfortunatly.... but for example, my local retailer is advertiseing the Jagers as fully submersible, Hollywood Fish Farm - Product Detail - Jager 300 Watt

Other than that you guys have confirmed that Jagers are very reliable which is good.

Anyone with any experience with the Tronics want to add there thoughts, as my local supplier currently has a special on these heaters...
Old 07-19-2009, 09:34 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb View Post
hmm thats an interesting point you bring up kieth...

I agree that the manual and other sources are misleading lol, anyone with the modern Jagers know which is so?

Im In New Zealand so cant take advantage of alot of the deals mentioned in earlier posts unfortunatly.... but for example, my local retailer is advertiseing the Jagers as fully submersible, Hollywood Fish Farm - Product Detail - Jager 300 Watt

Other than that you guys have confirmed that Jagers are very reliable which is good.

Anyone with any experience with the Tronics want to add there thoughts, as my local supplier currently has a special on these heaters...
I'm sure the Jagers are very good heaters but I refuse to put anything in my tank that I'm not sure of.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would go with the Visi-Therm as MG pointed out and supplied a link for, They do an excellent job and are reliable. Sorry I can't give you any input on the Fluval Tronic heaters that you're looking into. Personally, I have tried their filter products in the past and wasn't to impressed (They were exchanged for Eheim filters), they had high GPH but the filtering quality was poor so therefore I pretty much have avoided Fluval products. Good luck with your decision.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a 70g bow front, i am looking at the JAger 50w Heater is that big enough for my tank. I am thinking of buying 2.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoCatsy View Post
I have a 70g bow front, i am looking at the JAger 50w Heater is that big enough for my tank. I am thinking of buying 2.
No it's not, a single Jager 200w is rated for 60 to 90 gallons the jager 50w is rated for 10 to 15 gallons. Each manufacturer has has different tank capacities for the same wattage, the difference being the size/length of the heater. I put 2 400 watt in my 120 gal with the logic both will work 1/2 the time each but if one fails the other can handle the entire tank.

Tags
eat, eater, fluval, heaters, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com