Fluval Tronic Electronic vs Jager Heaters????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys im sorta on the fence as to what heater to use at the moment. I have a 300L/ 80Gallon tank, I was initially going to use one 300W Jager but then I considered two 150Watt'ers, and now am stuk between Jager and tronic.

As far as I can tell there equally priced (there about) and both of high qulity. The tronic seems to have a few more bells and whistles like there quick heat function, but that has the downside of running hot?

Please share your opinions on which system is the more reliable, and any pros and cons and features of the two...

Thanks alot,
Nick

2 smaller heaters is the way to go. it costs more but if one fails there is a lower chance to harm the tank. as for what heaters to buy i will only buy visi therm stealth heaters. i have only had 1 problem with the 20+ i use in the last 5-7 years or so. the auto shut of didnt kick in and it melted the bottom. i emailed the company about this. they asked for my address and sent me a new one asap. for then on they will always have my money.

between the two you are asking about i would go with the jager thats the only other one i will use and trust.

The only reason I didn't get the Jagers is because they aren't completely submersible, but i did hear they are excellent heaters.

Maybe you're right, but there are other manufacturers with the similar design which are UL approved and completely submersible. The heaters I bought have a minimum water line and will shut off if the water level drops below this line not a maximum water line which to me says not to go above, or maybe I'm just confused?

Jagers are complety submersible I believe, atleast thats what the packet says and how a few chaps I know run them...

Jagers are completely submersible and very reliable. If I could find a place out here that still deals in them I'd have them in all our tanks. Right now we only have them in 2. One of these days I'll shop online for them.

The original Ebo Jager heaters were completely submersible. If they weren't, why would the 2 old green ones I have still be working?

Eheim bought Ebo, if you look online you'll see nothing but complaints about the new ones, but hardly a complaint about the old ugly green Ebo Jagers.

Eheim GmbH & Co. KG | JÄGER aquarium heater

Straight from the Eheim site too.
I left a link for the manual in my post if you go and read it it specifically states in the manual Do not submerge:Water level must never be over water level mark on the housing. Go read it and get back to me. For all intensive purposes all heaters are and have to be submersible to a certain degree( IE in the water). That statement above kept me from buying them.
Also check out the description on Dr Foster & Smith http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+3858&pcatid=3858
It says the same thing.

I use two different heaters only, two tronics for my fry tanks and a visitherm stealth for my big tank.

Petsolutions.com has the visitherms for under 25 bucks, all models.

petsmart has them for 40 bucks. I got my tronics from eBay. 10 bucks a piece shipped w/ combined shipping.

I'm using a visitherm that i bought as a back up 15 years ago and it works great. It's new but old.

I left a link for the manual in my post if you go and read it it specifically states in the manual Do not submerge:Water level must never be over water level mark on the housing. Go read it and get back to me. For all intensive purposes all heaters are and have to be submersible to a certain degree( IE in the water). That statement above kept me from buying them.
Also check out the description on Dr Foster & Smith Aquarium Heaters: Jäger Temperature Sensor Automatic Heaters
It says the same thing.

I did read what you posted. Did you see the link on mine?
3rd bullet down:
The heater can be fully immersed, is protected against running dry and is suitable for fresh or marine water.

And as I said. I have 2 of the old green Ebos running in 2 of our tanks. I've always had Ebos until Eheim bought them out. That's why I'm trying to find the REAL Ebos for our other tanks. I have never had a problem with them. The one we have in our 20L was given to us by my boyfriends sister, right out of her SW tank. It is horizontal to the gravel and at gravel level. The one in the 29 was brand new, but 7 years old. I never took it out of the box until last year. It's also fully submersed and doing just fine.

I understand you have never had a problem with yours and that yours are fully submersible but they aren't being manufactured anymore, I remember that nasty green looking thing, yuck. I just got done outfitting my 120 FOWLR and did tons of research on everything I needed to get, this is the only reason why I was aware of the Jager not being fully submersible. I did read your link and it is very misleading the 3rd bullet down. I prefer to follow the manual prepared by the engineers rather than what's written on the box by the marketing people. Someone should point it out to Eheim because IMO it's false advertising, maybe I'll write them an Email later, they may listen and let us know 100% what the deal is. Until then I will not go near them.

hmm thats an interesting point you bring up kieth...

I agree that the manual and other sources are misleading lol, anyone with the modern Jagers know which is so?

Im In New Zealand so cant take advantage of alot of the deals mentioned in earlier posts unfortunatly.... but for example, my local retailer is advertiseing the Jagers as fully submersible, Hollywood Fish Farm - Product Detail - Jager 300 Watt

Other than that you guys have confirmed that Jagers are very reliable which is good.

Anyone with any experience with the Tronics want to add there thoughts, as my local supplier currently has a special on these heaters...

hmm thats an interesting point you bring up kieth...

I agree that the manual and other sources are misleading lol, anyone with the modern Jagers know which is so?

Im In New Zealand so cant take advantage of alot of the deals mentioned in earlier posts unfortunatly.... but for example, my local retailer is advertiseing the Jagers as fully submersible, Hollywood Fish Farm - Product Detail - Jager 300 Watt

Other than that you guys have confirmed that Jagers are very reliable which is good.

Anyone with any experience with the Tronics want to add there thoughts, as my local supplier currently has a special on these heaters...
I'm sure the Jagers are very good heaters but I refuse to put anything in my tank that I'm not sure of.

I would go with the Visi-Therm as MG pointed out and supplied a link for, They do an excellent job and are reliable. Sorry I can't give you any input on the Fluval Tronic heaters that you're looking into. Personally, I have tried their filter products in the past and wasn't to impressed (They were exchanged for Eheim filters), they had high GPH but the filtering quality was poor so therefore I pretty much have avoided Fluval products. Good luck with your decision.

I have a 70g bow front, i am looking at the JAger 50w Heater is that big enough for my tank. I am thinking of buying 2.

I have a 70g bow front, i am looking at the JAger 50w Heater is that big enough for my tank. I am thinking of buying 2.
No it's not, a single Jager 200w is rated for 60 to 90 gallons the jager 50w is rated for 10 to 15 gallons. Each manufacturer has has different tank capacities for the same wattage, the difference being the size/length of the heater. I put 2 400 watt in my 120 gal with the logic both will work 1/2 the time each but if one fails the other can handle the entire tank.

Back
Top Bottom