Fluval U3 - Just Purchased - Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fis

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi-

I bought a Fluval U3 to replace my Aquaclear - just a question - it has the biomax cartridge (the white beads) - I remember having a problem with them in another tank - when I put them in the tank got very cloudy...but it wasn't an established tank at that point. So maybe that was the problem? I just don't want it to happen again...

Also - do I need to worry about the foam from the Aquaclear as it has all the good bacteria from the tank? Should I be somehow using it in the Fluval or the foam in there will quickly create its own bacteria?

Sorry if these are obvious questions - he's 10 years old but all this filter stuff is rather new to me...

Thanks!

I would agree that most likely the cloudiness you experienced last time probably had nothing to do with the biomax stuff. Make sure you rinse off any new filter media before first use, and you should be fine.

And yes, you need to transfer the foam pad from the aquaclear and put it in one of the media baskets inside the fluval. That's the easiest, safest way to ensure you keep a healthy bacteria colony.

You want to rinse the bio beads before putting them in. Rinse everything really. If you can, leave the AC running on your system and the bacteria from that filter will help seed your new filter.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Thanks - I can keep the AC running for a while. And as far as the foam, I guess I'll cut a piece to fit inside the new one? Or do I not need to bother since the AC will run along with the Fluval for a while.

And now that I'm beginning and reading the directions, what's a venturi system and should I be using it?

Either way will work. You can either insert the seeded foam from the AC into the fluval, or you can opt to run both filters for about a month. Both of those ways accomplishes the same thing - seeding your new filter.

A venturi is usually used for injecting gas or other liquids into the water flow. This is often used to inject CO2 gas into the water for those of us that run planted tanks and supplement with CO2. Most users have no need for this feature.

fis said:
Thanks - I can keep the AC running for a while. And as far as the foam, I guess I'll cut a piece to fit inside the new one? Or do I not need to bother since the AC will run along with the Fluval for a while.

And now that I'm beginning and reading the directions, what's a venturi system and should I be using it?

I had an established AC50 on my tank, added a Fusion 4 and the F4 was seeded in less than a week.

Don't know the Fluval so wait for someone that has experience with it to respond.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Thank you both - I can run them both during the day/evening, but overnight will have to just be the fluval. I can cut a bit of the foam to put in and replace one of the foam strips in there. I assume that along with running the two of them for 18+ hours a day should be sufficient.

One last question - how will I know when it's seeded?

fis said:
Thank you both - I can run them both during the day/evening, but overnight will have to just be the fluval. I can cut a bit of the foam to put in and replace one of the foam strips in there. I assume that along with running the two of them for 18+ hours a day should be sufficient.

One last question - how will I know when it's seeded?

You'll see the build up just like the old one shows (gunked bio media is where it mostly lives).

Also make sure if you shut down the AC that the media chamber stays filled with water. If it empties/dries out, the bacteria will die off.

Sent from my Epic 4G

As Mr. Limpet said if the AC media dries out, your bacteria are toast. If you're unable to run both 24 hours a day, IMO it's just easier to stuff the foam pad from the AC into the new filter and not worry about it.

neilanh said:
As Mr. Limpet said if the AC media dries out, your bacteria are toast. If you're unable to run both 24 hours a day, IMO it's just easier to stuff the foam pad from the AC into the new filter and not worry about it.

Neil is correct. But if you can move the Bio media from the AC filter too. Lots of good bacteria live there.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Thank you both for all the quick help! I cut the foam from the AC and have one small piece now left in the AC, and one in each of the foam sections of the fluval. About to install...eeek...

Thanks!

Ok hopefully this is the last question - I put it all together and installed it, and there's no flow coming out of it. Does it need time to prime? I read the directions and I seem to have done everything correctly...but apparently not...

Thanks - the flow was so quiet I didn't realize it was working.

How embarrassing

All is well. Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom