Fluvall 304 good enough for 100!galloons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshuabeebe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey guys, just a bit curious if any of you have experienced the fluvall 304. I got a free one with my aquarium. Curious if any of yous think it would do fine with 100 gallon tank.

It may be undersized for 100 gallon community tank. The 304 is an older model, as now fluval is up to series 6 (306). You may want to look into the 406 rated up to 100 gallons. A lot of it depends on population and the number of filter media baskets.

I would give it a try since you own it.

Another thought, These can filters need the media changed every so often. Since yours may be undersized, the changes may need to happen sooner.

Filter media is like carbon bags, foam, bio rings (Biomax), bio foam, etc etc. Google Fluval filter media. I buy everything online, so check this out.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_asi_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afluval+media&keywords=fluval+media&ie=UTF8&qid=1456619296

The 304 should have 4 foam blocks, and 3 baskets. Everything in the filter needs to be replaced at some point, but not at the same time. If you received a used fluval 304, I would start by buying all new "Media". Any beneficial biological bacteria (and yes bacteria is important) will die if the filter is dry for an extended period of time.

For a start, I would get all new...

4x foam blocks (vertical foam blocks),
Biomax (500g)
Carbon
Polishing pads.

All this assuming the 304 will be enough for 100g tank. The good news with fluval can's, most everything can be transferred from the 304, to the 406 (minus the vertical foam blocks, as they change in height). Setup your filter, run the tank for a week or 2. Check water conditions before spending a lot of money on fish or plants.

Back
Top Bottom