Foggy Aquarium Glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had a (new) 90 gallon freshwater tank for about 8 months. I have noticed that the top 5 inches or so of the tank is 'foggy' it is almost like a thin layer of gray/white algae. The foggy stuff goes all the way around the tank. And it won't come off, I have tried an algae scrubber and a toothbrush with no luck.
Any tricks up your sleeves that can fix this?

Thank you everyone for being patient with me!

Is your water level all the way to the top? Nd is your tank in direct sunlight?

Boomer23 said:
Is your water level all the way to the top? Nd is your tank in direct sunlight?

Yes my water level is all the way at the top, and it never drops except for pwc (I use an overflow). The tank does not get any direct sun light (it is in the basement in a room with a north facing window).
It almost seems to be foggy were my light doesn't hit. It is so close to the top that the light doesn't defuse out and shine on it.

George9 said:
Could the outside glass just be dirty and need some windex? :)

I wouldn't put windex anywhere near my tanks:) I use an API spray that cleans the outside of tanks and is completely safe:) I've also head of people using a vinegar solution? Not too sure on the vinegar solution though...

Sorry for the dumb question, but it in on the inside of the tank? Could it be some hardwater stains? I'm not sure if it's called hardwater lol but they're like mineral deposits on the top of the glass.

Yea austin good post, i agree deff could be mineral deposits nd i would never use windex. The API solutions are best idea

Boomer23 said:
Yea austin good post, i agree deff could be mineral deposits nd i would never use windex. The API solutions are best idea

Thanks!

You could also just use a razor to remove the hardwater stains on the glass.

It is definitely on the inside of the tank (I would like to think that I am smart enough to figure that out) ;) here are some pictures, it is really baffling to me. I forgot to mention also that you can only see it when you look up at the tank. It appears clear looking straight at the tank.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120522_070910.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120522_070910.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 144
  • ForumRunner_20120522_071012.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120522_071012.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 189
  • ForumRunner_20120522_071400.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120522_071400.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 245
I have that starting on the side of my tank glass I'm just glad its not on the front. I have tryed getting it off aswell and had no luck but it doesn't bother me so I just left it. But I can see how that would get on your nerves being on the front of the glass. The only thing I didn't try was to lower my water below it to make it easyer and try with a razor blade.

I will try using a razr blade next water change. That is a good idea thank you!

I took a razor blade to the glass, it did absolutely nothing... I couldn't even scratch it off with the edge of the razor. Although I did notice some teeth marks in the fog from my nerite snails.

Any other ideas?

I've used body shop rubbing compound

to take some of the mineral deposits and cloudiness away from glass. My tanks were empty at the time, so that might not work if you have water in the tank.

I've also used rubbing compound (medium grit) on my glass versa tops and it removed a lot of the haze. On the really old ones (20 years old) the glass is permanently etched by the mineral deposits and the haze doesn't come off with anything - vinegar, muriatic acid, razor blade, steel wool, etc.

Back
Top Bottom