Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-25-2005, 08:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

For those with Coralife PCs

I've got a 55G with almost 70lbs of live rock and I'm stocked with a pair of clowns, royal gramma and a yellow tang. Tank was started in Jan of this year. I've got three powerheads, sand bottom and still run a Emperor with carbon or Chemi Pure. Now I'm ready to step up from NO to PC lights. Question is, should I buy a PC like the Coralife and buy those legs and go with a glass top or should I go the plastic egg crate route with the Coralife sitting on legs.

My budget is around $ 300 and I have wondered if a 2 X 65 Satellite might be good enough. They don't have legs however nor fans and I'm inclined to think I'll regret it as the idea of being able to lift the Coralife back on its legs and feed really interests me.

What to do, what to do.

By the way, I haven't had much luck taking pics of my tank with my crappy 2mb digital but I've got a huge Electric blue legged crab which is almost as much fun as my Oc. clowns. He has taken a few turbo snails out for their shells but I still love him. At least he doesn't attack my fish like those crabs did I got with my live rock. Oh yeah, I've still got some good color on my live rock but I should say my interest is with more brilliant lighting of my tank and preservation of my coralline algae. Some say NO lights drive more purple than PCs but I'm ready to light my tank more brilliantly with PCs so my fish will have that showroom color.

Old 07-26-2005, 07:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, I started my 55 in January as well and have been using a coralife PC since I set it up. I have the legs for the coralife which has it's own cooling fans but I still had to mount a fan to blow across the top of the tank to cool it down brought the water temp up 4-6 degrees during the day. I have neither glass or eggcrate on top of my tank. At most I think you would want egg crate to allow for air exchange and coralline is doing quite well with the PC.

Old 07-26-2005, 08:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I suggest the 4x65 with the monting legs. You can use egg create if you want, I prefer to go topless.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

i am very satisfied with my 4x65 coralife moon light, the only burdan is attaching the legs to the light and measuring their length right.
bj5z25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 07:54 AM   #5

Hey I just bought a 4x65 Off ebay for 135 with shipping. The seller has aobut 10 more up For auction it is a really good deal. here is an item number for one that goes off in a couple of days (7703380860 ) and if that time frame is not good just go in and look at his other auctions and you can find one that works for you. Good Luck
Old 07-27-2005, 09:54 AM   #6

Salt creep on PCs if no glass top ?

Hey thanks, I'll check that out.

If I use the Coralife legs does that get the lamps high enough above the water that I won't have salt creep on the reflector and lamps themselves ? As it is now with my cheapo plastic top and NOs the salt creep finds its way up on the lamps and cover. I've got good surface movement, not splashing per se, but good movement and it isn't splashing directly on the cover so I've been a bit suprised by the amount of salt creep I clean up when I do my water changes.

Thanks again,
Old 07-27-2005, 10:00 AM   #7

Looks like the Jebo got better

Looks like the Jebo got better as now it has fans and LEDs.

I'm not a fan of chinese made products but admittingly it is tough not to consider it given the savings.

Are you happy with the noise level, fans too terribly loud ? What about the whole overall construction of the unit, look reasonably put together ?
Old 07-27-2005, 12:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

JBJ is a better fixture but comes with a hefty price with it. I agree that the 4x65 is the way to go as the 65 watt bulb produces the same lumens as the 55 watt one. (Industry selling point IMO). I would also go open top and use the legs.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Konrade
thanks pudge. I've been looking for some coralife pc's at a good price.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

if your not keeping hard or soft corals you can use the coralife 2x65 with legs on. thats what i use. brightens up the tank just fine (55 gal) and i still have good algae growing like crazy (once a week trimming). i also have enough room to open glass lids to feed. plus they are alot cheaper.

They have a acrylic lens cover on them so no salt creep on the reflector or bulbs.

Tags
coral, coralife, hose

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com