Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2016, 01:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Forgot to turn filters back on for four and a half hours.

I turned my filters off like usual when I fed my fish. Unfortunately, this time I forgot to turn them back on until I got home later on. They were off for a total of 4 and a half hours. My question is will all of the bacteria on my bio wheel be dead and have to seed all over again? I'm using a marineland penguin 200 and an Aquaclear 70. The bio media in the ac filter stayed submerged.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Forgot to turn filters back on for four and a half hours.

I'd say they will be fine as long as media stayed wet. I've regularly left the filters off overnight with no issues.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

The only time I turn my filter off is when I'm cleaning it. I don't see a reason to turn the filter off while feeding. JM2C
Old 03-19-2016, 08:30 PM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That's a good point. With small hob's I just leave them going. The main tank has the canister filters turn off on timers (allows floating pellets to float and stops brine shrimp being sucked in) and then switches back on again automatically.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

You can always set a timer to help you remember (phone, kitchen). Too easy to forget.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Some of the bacteria might have died off; but probably not all. There are some who theorize that killing off some of the weaker bacteria once in a while is a good thing as it promotes more of the stronger bacteria to colonize so to say.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksdrinker View Post
Some of the bacteria might have died off; but probably not all. There are some who theorize that killing off some of the weaker bacteria once in a while is a good thing as it promotes more of the stronger bacteria to colonize so to say.
I think that this theory applies to a fluidized bed filter where as the K1 media is crashing into each other, the weaker bacteria falls off, while the stronger bacteria continues to colonize. It also keeps it from being able to clog and provide lots of surface area.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedisabum View Post
I think that this theory applies to a fluidized bed filter where as the K1 media is crashing into each other, the weaker bacteria falls off, while the stronger bacteria continues to colonize. It also keeps it from being able to clog and provide lots of surface area.
Not sure why the same couldn't apply to any style of bio filtration? In the fluidized bed filter it may sort of happen without any intervention. But the idea is still the same. Only the strong survive!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

That makes sense.

Tags
filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com