Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFox View Post
They had one of the API kits with all of the other equipment left behind, but it was in pretty poor repair...cracked vials, seemed like something leaked, etc. It ended up finding the trash. I knew the strips were low end, but I didn't know they were that bad. I also use different strips for a pool I have, so I felt comfortable with them.

I love the clown loach. Probably my favorite fish in the tank. So I wouldn't be upset by hearing I need to buy more
The more you have the more fun they are! They're like wolves- they have a group hierarchy with an alpha (usually a female) but also love to play together! They actually communicate to a degree by making audible clicking sounds. Just as much personality as cichlids IMO. Unlike wolves they mostly only eat invertebrates though They're some of my favorite fish! I have 15 loaches that are closely related to clown loaches and have similar behavior

The last time I used test strips I nearly had a panic attack because it gave me positive readings of ammonia (there was none) and nitrate levels of like 200 (it was 30). Refused to use them since.

sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Can't help with the RO question, but your black algae eater sounds like a pleco to me, probably a common which can grow to 18"!

Giant Danios are schooling fish and without a school they'll terrorize your other fish. I'd get 7+ more, and he should be fine.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

So what I am getting out of this is...buy more fish lol. I am definitely interested in doing that. I would love to get my Danio to settle down, as he has been terrorizing any new fish.

I do think he is a pleco. When I described him to my local nonchain fish store, they told he he may have started out eating alfae, but as they grow, they become more scavengers. Is that accurate?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 12-21-2015, 01:12 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You will likely run into issues between your dwarf gourami. They do not like the company of their own kind.
Old 12-21-2015, 02:48 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

True statement about plecos. Older they get the less they seem to feed on algae. I didn't look, but they need driftwood for digestion if you don't already have some. +1 about the gourami advice.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 12-21-2015, 03:23 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with above.

RO is useless in freshwater outside of breeding and possible buffers.

Schooling fish will often terrorize a bit if not given a group. The group gives them that sense of security and your giant danio will greatly calm down if he gets some friends. I have seen minor aggression from clown loaches as well when not given a school.

There's hundreds of catfish? do you have a picture or know the species? Catfish can range from 1 inch to 5 feet. That's quite a huge difference.

Caleb
Old 12-21-2015, 04:16 AM   #17

I'm going to guess that the RO system was either for drinking water then, or for when they tried keeping discus (I've heard they are temperamental).

I will definitely look into getting some more danios.

The catfish is about 7", dark dry top with tan under body, tan lines going the length of his body, and fairly aggressive looking scales. The local big box store (Petsmart or Petco, I can't remember) carries them. I learned most of the names of the existing fish from searching local fish/pet stores to see who sold them, then researched most of them to see what they need for care. There has been a huge learning curve the past year or so.

And yes, there is a 30" or so tall piece of driftwood in the center

Old 12-21-2015, 08:35 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Found an RODI System Installed in my house...I think?

How long is your tank? Do the gouramis nip each other/have nipped fins?

I would think that they'd be fine in such a big tank...

I'd love to see a picture of this set up it looks very nice!

Are you planning on adding more fish? Such as other kinds, or just bumping up all the schools?
Old 12-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Aquarist View Post
How long is your tank? Do the gouramis nip each other/have nipped fins?

I would think that they'd be fine in such a big tank...

I'd love to see a picture of this set up it looks very nice!

Are you planning on adding more fish? Such as other kinds, or just bumping up all the schools?
A 110g tank is 4 ft long and 18" wide. Its the same footprint as a 75g tank. When it comes down to it, thats really not a whole lot of space for 2 fish that grow up to be very territorial towards each other.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #20

Here is my tank. I believe it's 48" x 36" x 18". I measured and looked it up when I first bought the house and found out it was a 110g. The gourami play very well together, almost appear to school, and the second gourami seems to try and discourage the Danio from picking on the first.

I am just starting to get the hang of fish care, but there are a LOT of questions that I will need answered when problems come up. I just finished treating my Clown Loach, who was getting REALLY thin and developed white patches similar looking to a sweat stained baseball cap. His patches are fading, but I'm still working on his weight. Once that issue is taken care of, I want to add Danios and Clowns to help them out, then I would like to add some brightly colored fish, similar to my dwarf gourami, but hopefully a bit bigger. I'm trying to get contrasting colors that swim at different levels. This tank is in an open kitchen/living room so it's very visible and definitely draws attention.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1450709631729.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	282335  

Tags
led, rodi, stall, stem, system, tall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com