Found an RODI System Installed in my house...I think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShadowFox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have owned my house for a couple years, which came with 2 built in freshwater tanks. I had always used a syphon attached to one of the sinks in my kitchen to both clean the water, and replace the water I had vacuumed out. I know its a "rookie" method, but it works, and I didn't know much about reasonable alternatives. Today I was cleaning my 110g and on occasion I would turn on the garbage disposal to help the sink drain quicker...and the disposal failed, causing water to go everywhere. I wasn't too happy, but while I was under the sink replacing it, I took a closer look at what I thought were filters for my tap water and I see...SpectraPure

I did a little research and found out that it may be an RODI system? It has two 8" or so cylinder filters attached to a black bracket, which has a white PVC style cylinder going horizontal on top. There are not and digital screens or analog gauges on it. But it is fed by my cold water pipe and has a small nylon tube that drips when I turn it on.

Can anyone tell me exactly what this is? Also, what do I need to know it to beneficial to my aquariums?

Thanks in advance!

I know its a "rookie" method, but it works, and I didn't know much about reasonable alternatives.

Why do you consider that a rookie method?

Today I was cleaning my 110g and on occasion I would turn on the garbage disposal to help the sink drain quicker...and the disposal failed, causing water to go everywhere. I wasn't too happy, but while I was under the sink replacing it, I took a closer look at what I thought were filters for my tap water and I see...SpectraPure

I did a little research and found out that it may be an RODI system? It has two 8" or so cylinder filters attached to a black bracket, which has a white PVC style cylinder going horizontal on top. There are not and digital screens or analog gauges on it. But it is fed by my cold water pipe and has a small nylon tube that drips when I turn it on.

Can anyone tell me exactly what this is? Also, what do I need to know it to beneficial to my aquariums?

Thanks in advance!

An ro/di system is used for saltwater aquariums. It's detrimental to use in freshwater due to it removing all of the buffering agents in the water creating huge ph spikes and nutrient deficiencies.

Could you take a couple pictures so we know what you're seeing? It might just be an RO filter.

I have always understood that it is the worst way to change your water, even with adding the chemicals to make the tap water safe. I may be wrong as I am newer to this, but it always seems that people say not to use tap water.

Here is what I have:

Attachments

• 20151219_185300.jpg
    20151219_185300.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 118
I have always understood that it is the worst way to change your water, even with adding the chemicals to make the tap water safe. I may be wrong as I am newer to this, but it always seems that people say not to use tap water.

Here is what I have:

Don't know where you've been getting your advice, but most people here use the direct faucet to tank fill.. myself included... and there are never problems that arise from it. So rest easy, you aren't doing it the amateur way :D

That does appear to be a ro/di system. The 2 large canisters will be the RO while the smaller white one will house the membrane for the DI part of the filtration.

If I have freshwater and this RO/DI what benefit would it be to me? Just drinking water? Once my fish knowledge develops, I would love to turn my 110 into a salt water. So I guess it will good to have then.

Last edited:
IMO if the ro unit(it does look to be one) was used for aquarium it would have a storage vessel???
Even with a 'booster 'pump and 150g per day add on I get aprox 6g per hour....
You won't service your 110 real fast like that!
I use ro on my freshwater but mainly for breeding.
Without knowing your tap water parameters I can't say if you should use it or not?
Do you still have the fish the previous owner had????
Possibly one required something special.

The old owner had Silver Dollars, Clown Loach, Giant Danio, Catfish (forget the specific name), a large black "algae eater", and I think that is is. Unfortunately I have lost 4 of the Silver Dollars (down to one left) because I screwed up a water change by putting the wrong chemical in, which didn't remove the chlorine from tap water.

Currently, I have:
1 Silver Dollar
1 Catfish
1 Black "Algae Eater"
1 Red Finned Shark
1 Clown Loach
2 Dwarf Gouramis
5 Swordtails
1 Giant Danio (Who has been a pain in the neck, trying to bully my other fish)

I use basic 5-way test strips, and the only items of concern ever is that my water is a little hard, and PH is always high (8.2+). With all of the supplies that were left by the previous owner, it looks like they may have tried Discus, but there hasnt been one since I have been here.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to invest in a good liquid/vial test kit before you can say whether the ro is needed or not.
Strips are not the most accurate...
Most get by fine with an API master fresh water kit.
Then I believe you need to buy GH/KH separately.
They are important numbers to know before messing with your water.
For dechlorinator just get seachem Prime or Safe.
Don't use anything else....

A bit of advice- get some more clown loaches. They're really sad to be by themselves!

I agree 100% with coralbandit about tests- API freshwater master test kit is the way to go. I tried test strips once and they were so inaccurate that if you pay me half the price of a test strip, I'll come to your house, taste your water and give you a guaranteed comparably accurate water quality reading ;)

They had one of the API kits with all of the other equipment left behind, but it was in pretty poor repair...cracked vials, seemed like something leaked, etc. It ended up finding the trash. I knew the strips were low end, but I didn't know they were that bad. I also use different strips for a pool I have, so I felt comfortable with them.

I love the clown loach. Probably my favorite fish in the tank. So I wouldn't be upset by hearing I need to buy more :)

They had one of the API kits with all of the other equipment left behind, but it was in pretty poor repair...cracked vials, seemed like something leaked, etc. It ended up finding the trash. I knew the strips were low end, but I didn't know they were that bad. I also use different strips for a pool I have, so I felt comfortable with them.

I love the clown loach. Probably my favorite fish in the tank. So I wouldn't be upset by hearing I need to buy more :)

The more you have the more fun they are! They're like wolves- they have a group hierarchy with an alpha (usually a female) but also love to play together! They actually communicate to a degree by making audible clicking sounds. Just as much personality as cichlids IMO. Unlike wolves they mostly only eat invertebrates though ;) They're some of my favorite fish! I have 15 loaches that are closely related to clown loaches and have similar behavior :lol:

The last time I used test strips I nearly had a panic attack because it gave me positive readings of ammonia (there was none) and nitrate levels of like 200 (it was 30). Refused to use them since.

Can't help with the RO question, but your black algae eater sounds like a pleco to me, probably a common which can grow to 18"!

Giant Danios are schooling fish and without a school they'll terrorize your other fish. I'd get 7+ more, and he should be fine.

So what I am getting out of this is...buy more fish lol. I am definitely interested in doing that. I would love to get my Danio to settle down, as he has been terrorizing any new fish.

I do think he is a pleco. When I described him to my local nonchain fish store, they told he he may have started out eating alfae, but as they grow, they become more scavengers. Is that accurate?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You will likely run into issues between your dwarf gourami. They do not like the company of their own kind.

True statement about plecos. Older they get the less they seem to feed on algae. I didn't look, but they need driftwood for digestion if you don't already have some. +1 about the gourami advice.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with above.

RO is useless in freshwater outside of breeding and possible buffers.

Schooling fish will often terrorize a bit if not given a group. The group gives them that sense of security and your giant danio will greatly calm down if he gets some friends. I have seen minor aggression from clown loaches as well when not given a school.

There's hundreds of catfish? do you have a picture or know the species? Catfish can range from 1 inch to 5 feet. That's quite a huge difference.

Caleb

I'm going to guess that the RO system was either for drinking water then, or for when they tried keeping discus (I've heard they are temperamental).

I will definitely look into getting some more danios.

The catfish is about 7", dark dry top with tan under body, tan lines going the length of his body, and fairly aggressive looking scales. The local big box store (Petsmart or Petco, I can't remember) carries them. I learned most of the names of the existing fish from searching local fish/pet stores to see who sold them, then researched most of them to see what they need for care. There has been a huge learning curve the past year or so.

And yes, there is a 30" or so tall piece of driftwood in the center

How long is your tank? Do the gouramis nip each other/have nipped fins?

I would think that they'd be fine in such a big tank...

I'd love to see a picture of this set up it looks very nice!

Are you planning on adding more fish? Such as other kinds, or just bumping up all the schools?

How long is your tank? Do the gouramis nip each other/have nipped fins?

I would think that they'd be fine in such a big tank...

I'd love to see a picture of this set up it looks very nice!

Are you planning on adding more fish? Such as other kinds, or just bumping up all the schools?
A 110g tank is 4 ft long and 18" wide. Its the same footprint as a 75g tank. When it comes down to it, thats really not a whole lot of space for 2 fish that grow up to be very territorial towards each other.

Here is my tank. I believe it's 48" x 36" x 18". I measured and looked it up when I first bought the house and found out it was a 110g. The gourami play very well together, almost appear to school, and the second gourami seems to try and discourage the Danio from picking on the first.

I am just starting to get the hang of fish care, but there are a LOT of questions that I will need answered when problems come up. I just finished treating my Clown Loach, who was getting REALLY thin and developed white patches similar looking to a sweat stained baseball cap. His patches are fading, but I'm still working on his weight. Once that issue is taken care of, I want to add Danios and Clowns to help them out, then I would like to add some brightly colored fish, similar to my dwarf gourami, but hopefully a bit bigger. I'm trying to get contrasting colors that swim at different levels. This tank is in an open kitchen/living room so it's very visible and definitely draws attention.

Attachments

• 1450709631729.jpg
    1450709631729.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 78
Back
Top Bottom