Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-20-2015, 01:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Found an RODI System Installed in my house...I think?

I have owned my house for a couple years, which came with 2 built in freshwater tanks. I had always used a syphon attached to one of the sinks in my kitchen to both clean the water, and replace the water I had vacuumed out. I know its a "rookie" method, but it works, and I didn't know much about reasonable alternatives. Today I was cleaning my 110g and on occasion I would turn on the garbage disposal to help the sink drain quicker...and the disposal failed, causing water to go everywhere. I wasn't too happy, but while I was under the sink replacing it, I took a closer look at what I thought were filters for my tap water and I see...SpectraPure

I did a little research and found out that it may be an RODI system? It has two 8" or so cylinder filters attached to a black bracket, which has a white PVC style cylinder going horizontal on top. There are not and digital screens or analog gauges on it. But it is fed by my cold water pipe and has a small nylon tube that drips when I turn it on.

Can anyone tell me exactly what this is? Also, what do I need to know it to beneficial to my aquariums?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-20-2015, 03:26 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFox View Post
I know its a "rookie" method, but it works, and I didn't know much about reasonable alternatives.
Why do you consider that a rookie method?

Quote:
Today I was cleaning my 110g and on occasion I would turn on the garbage disposal to help the sink drain quicker...and the disposal failed, causing water to go everywhere. I wasn't too happy, but while I was under the sink replacing it, I took a closer look at what I thought were filters for my tap water and I see...SpectraPure

I did a little research and found out that it may be an RODI system? It has two 8" or so cylinder filters attached to a black bracket, which has a white PVC style cylinder going horizontal on top. There are not and digital screens or analog gauges on it. But it is fed by my cold water pipe and has a small nylon tube that drips when I turn it on.

Can anyone tell me exactly what this is? Also, what do I need to know it to beneficial to my aquariums?

Thanks in advance!
An ro/di system is used for saltwater aquariums. It's detrimental to use in freshwater due to it removing all of the buffering agents in the water creating huge ph spikes and nutrient deficiencies.

Could you take a couple pictures so we know what you're seeing? It might just be an RO filter.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:23 AM   #3

I have always understood that it is the worst way to change your water, even with adding the chemicals to make the tap water safe. I may be wrong as I am newer to this, but it always seems that people say not to use tap water.

Here is what I have:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151219_185300.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	282291  
Old 12-20-2015, 04:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
I have always understood that it is the worst way to change your water, even with adding the chemicals to make the tap water safe. I may be wrong as I am newer to this, but it always seems that people say not to use tap water.

Here is what I have:
Don't know where you've been getting your advice, but most people here use the direct faucet to tank fill.. myself included... and there are never problems that arise from it. So rest easy, you aren't doing it the amateur way

That does appear to be a ro/di system. The 2 large canisters will be the RO while the smaller white one will house the membrane for the DI part of the filtration.
Old 12-20-2015, 04:41 AM   #5

If I have freshwater and this RO/DI what benefit would it be to me? Just drinking water? Once my fish knowledge develops, I would love to turn my 110 into a salt water. So I guess it will good to have then.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

IMO if the ro unit(it does look to be one) was used for aquarium it would have a storage vessel???
Even with a 'booster 'pump and 150g per day add on I get aprox 6g per hour....
You won't service your 110 real fast like that!
I use ro on my freshwater but mainly for breeding.
Without knowing your tap water parameters I can't say if you should use it or not?
Do you still have the fish the previous owner had????
Possibly one required something special.
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:11 PM   #7

The old owner had Silver Dollars, Clown Loach, Giant Danio, Catfish (forget the specific name), a large black "algae eater", and I think that is is. Unfortunately I have lost 4 of the Silver Dollars (down to one left) because I screwed up a water change by putting the wrong chemical in, which didn't remove the chlorine from tap water.

Currently, I have:
1 Silver Dollar
1 Catfish
1 Black "Algae Eater"
1 Red Finned Shark
1 Clown Loach
2 Dwarf Gouramis
5 Swordtails
1 Giant Danio (Who has been a pain in the neck, trying to bully my other fish)

I use basic 5-way test strips, and the only items of concern ever is that my water is a little hard, and PH is always high (8.2+). With all of the supplies that were left by the previous owner, it looks like they may have tried Discus, but there hasnt been one since I have been here.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You need to invest in a good liquid/vial test kit before you can say whether the ro is needed or not.
Strips are not the most accurate...
Most get by fine with an API master fresh water kit.
Then I believe you need to buy GH/KH separately.
They are important numbers to know before messing with your water.
For dechlorinator just get seachem Prime or Safe.
Don't use anything else....
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
A bit of advice- get some more clown loaches. They're really sad to be by themselves!

I agree 100% with coralbandit about tests- API freshwater master test kit is the way to go. I tried test strips once and they were so inaccurate that if you pay me half the price of a test strip, I'll come to your house, taste your water and give you a guaranteed comparably accurate water quality reading
sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #10

They had one of the API kits with all of the other equipment left behind, but it was in pretty poor repair...cracked vials, seemed like something leaked, etc. It ended up finding the trash. I knew the strips were low end, but I didn't know they were that bad. I also use different strips for a pool I have, so I felt comfortable with them.

I love the clown loach. Probably my favorite fish in the tank. So I wouldn't be upset by hearing I need to buy more

Tags
led, rodi, stall, stem, system, tall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com