Fragging band saw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beau_123

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What band saw should I get can I get one from hime depot or lows.

Ok is it just the same as a band saw like as in it works the same as a band

Yes, any dremel, and I would suggest the cheapest band saw you can find. Stainless blade or not, the tiny bit of salt water on the corals and rock will eventually rust the saw to death.
Go to harbor freight or one of those knock-off stores.

Don't know about diamond blades, but I've used many regular blades that seemed to work fine.

Yes, any dremel, and I would suggest the cheapest band saw you can find. Stainless blade or not, the tiny bit of salt water on the corals and rock will eventually rust the saw to death.

So could I go to Home Depot and get a band saw and just get a diamond blade

Ok is it just the same as a band saw like as in it works the same as a band

No, a bandsaw gives you much more precision and control over your cuts, and a dremel is going to throw bits of liverock and coral everywhere.

Don't know about diamond blades, but I've used many regular blades that seemed to work fine.

That is what is nice about the coral saw, the cut rest is plastic rather than stainless or other metals, so it doen't get all rusty.

Regular blades will work, but will dull much quicker than the diamond blades and begin to tear rather than cut coral tissue. Even the diamond ones dull, but they last a lot longer.

Could I get one from Home Depot

A Inland or a regular band saw? Sure you can get one from Home Depot as X said, it won't be a coral saw and it will get rusty from the saltwater fairly quickly. As far a diamond blades, I don't know, but I doubt it.

The only thing that will get rusty is the table right

No, the way the band saw works it will suck in a lot of debris and water into the housing. I open up and clean my 10" craftsmen after every project. Also as stated about the blades. I run though an 1/8" blade fairly quick when cutting my favias, ill get maybe 15 frags before the blade is dull enough to start doing damage to the tissue.

No not at all. I have used my dremel a few times before buying my bandsaw. You cant make turns with the dremel like you can a bandsaw and the blade grinds more then cuts so you tend to see more die off on the edges of the cuts from the heat and grinding motion tearing the tissue instead of cutting. Also you don't have nearly as much control since you have to hold both the dremel and your coral while with the saw you can use both hands to manipulate the coral. To give you an example, say I pulled out two identical brain corals. With a dremel I may get 5-6 frags but if I cut the same coral with the saw I'd get probably 9-10 frags.

Beau....are you just talking about for your own personal use once in a while, or are you considering going into business? I've used a dremel for years and didn't see any extra die off. You can buy a cheap dremel and do just fine. If you intend to cut favia and acans into multiple frags (6-10) on a regular basis, You may want to spend more money on better equipment. I use one of these on my dremel and it cuts like butter-
Dremel EZ545 EZ Lock

Well I am thinking about just once and a while when my corals get to big.

Get a dremel, or similar, use that blade above, and get a pair of these-
clippers_tip_Smaller.jpg

I agree, if your not fragging atleast on a monthly basis then no need for a bandsaw. They are nice to have though, not just for your corals either lol.

Back
Top Bottom