Freq in cleaning a canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I recently purchased my first canister filter, the XP3 for my 45 gallon tank. In the compartments, I ahve the bio stars, ceramic pieces, and foam. I was wondering how oten should I clean it.. currently there are two oscars about 4-5 inches, but they will soon be sent to a btter hoe, and going into te tank around after thanks giving or maybe sooner, will be a single GSP. This will be a brackish tank, eventually to full marine for the sake of the GSP (green spotted puffer). Thanks!

i rinse out the foam every 2 or so months and the ceramic tubes mabey every 6 monthS, just dont clean it all out at once.

oh yeah.. how often should everything be changed.. like foam, the bio stars I don't think are to be ever changed, the ceramic rings, and micro filter? what are the best things to have in a canister filter? The XP3 gave me a lot of room to use.

When it comes to changing your foams in your filter, i have a little foam test i do.

If you squeeze your foam and it springs back to it's normal position it is OK, if you squeeze it and it stays crumpled up then it needs changing.

If you go by what the makers of the filters say you would be changing your foams about every six months, how else are they going to get more money out of you.

Also the flow of your filter will tell you when it needs cleaning, if the flow of the filter is slowing down then it is starting to clog up, if it not slowing down then why touch it.

I am totally with Terry on this one - I wait until my flow begins to decrease before I know it is time. If you have the square foam pieces that are relatively coarse, they could last you for years, with just a quick rinsing. Floss needs to be pitched much more frequently, if you use it.

Back
Top Bottom