Fresh vs Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CuriousUser

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I think this is in the right arena.

Looking to see if the salt water tank is that much harder to maintain than the fresh water.

I'vs been told saltwater is more like a job. You have to keep the salt level just all the time, and really watch it during water changes.
That being said I've only done freshwater tanks and they come with some of their own problems (mainly keeping ammonia, nitrate, nitrite levels right).
It just depends what you want to deal with.

What size are you thinking of?

I have kept a nano SW and it was no big expense and not any real problems in keeping a few little things and one little fish and inverts. Weekly water change no big deal.

Bigger gets you involved in more complicated issues.

There is fish only with live rock - FOWLR
Corals of varying degrees of expertise and lighting and feeding care.

More equipment and more light and more to know about and learn about and more cost than the average FW tank for many of the fish and when there is a mistake it can be very expensive.

SW setups are usually more costly in the beginning. You can go as crazy cost as there are gadgets which there are many. Lighting for specialty keeping is insane. There are reasonable lights for the average build.

Back
Top Bottom