Fresh water filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aarony

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am fairly new to the hobby. I have a new 90 gallon tank I am looking to put cichlids or oscars or peacock bass in it . What is the best option for quiet filtration? I was wondering if hooking a canister filter to a under gravel filter would work good but I have never seen it done. I would think pulling all the water through the gravel would help the breakdown of particulates. I don't like filters that hang on the back of the tank .any advice would be appreciated.

I am fairly new to the hobby. I have a new 90 gallon tank I am looking to put cichlids or oscars or peacock bass in it . What is the best option for quiet filtration? I was wondering if hooking a canister filter to a under gravel filter would work good but I have never seen it done. I would think pulling all the water through the gravel would help the breakdown of particulates. I don't like filters that hang on the back of the tank .any advice would be appreciated.

I don't think that the canister to the undergravel will work. I would suggest a very large canister. Look for how many gallons per hour the filter does, and reduce that by at least 25% because that will be the flow with the filter media in it. Try to have the tank cycle through 8 times if you choose african cichlids, and 10+ for a single oscar. A peacock bass will not fit in a 90 gallon.

I'd reccomend an Fluval and/or Eheim canister filter. IMO don't go with an undergravel filter. You say you don't like Hang on back but I find them really useful for a tank over 20 gallons so along with a Fluval/Eheim canister I'd reccomend an AquaClear 110. Its a very good and quiet hang on back filter.

I am trying to keep it as quiet as possible due to being in a room with tile floors and bad acoustics . I will look at the 110s and a canister . And I couldn't fit a 4 inch peacock in a 90 gallon tank for at least a year or so?

I am trying to keep it as quiet as possible due to being in a room with tile floors and bad acoustics . I will look at the 110s and a canister . And I couldn't fit a 4 inch peacock in a 90 gallon tank for at least a year or so?

I don't know how fast they grow. I would suggest tons of African cichlids, or an oscar.

I don't know how fast they grow. I would suggest tons of African cichlids, or an oscar.

You could keep a peacock in a 90 for a while, but they get huge and are not practical for most people. Why worry about rehoming? There's lots of beautiful SA an CA cichlids to choose from.

Ok I will go with the canister and two aqua clear 110. My local stores say to not use a under gravel filter . Do most of you agree? What brand canister would you buy ? They sell marine land , hydro, cascade.

Ok I will go with the canister and two aqua clear 110. My local stores say to not use a under gravel filter . Do most of you agree? What brand canister would you buy ? They sell marine land , hydro, cascade.
Underground filters are pretty old school. You want to remove the junk, not hide it in the gravel. For that size tank, you could go for a Fluval FX5/6. This could do away with the need for HOBs or just use one HOB, stuffed with polyfil for that extra sparkle.....

At 300 the fx5 is a little out of my price range at the moment

No plants just cichlids I plant on artificial plants so they are no maitenence . There's alot of negative reviews on the Chinese ones saying they aren't efficient and wrong color light.

No plants just cichlids I plant on artificial plants so they are no maitenence . There's alot of negative reviews on the Chinese ones saying they aren't efficient and wrong color light.
There is also a lot of people who are very happy with them. You could search the threads here or start a new one and get some advice off people who own some. Remember a lot of electrical equipment comes from China already, some of it just has a 'brand' name on it to sell it. A major tablet and games console comes to mind!!. Chinese products have come a long way in recent years....

Ok I found a killer deal online for the marineland double bright led light and would the cascade 1500 filter be good it's on sale 98$? Also grabbed aquaclear 110 for 60$ . Now on to a heater and decor. What do cichlids seem to do better with sand , fine gravel, large gravel?

Ok I found a killer deal online for the marineland double bright led light and would the cascade 1500 filter be good it's on sale 98$? Also grabbed aquaclear 110 for 60$ . Now on to a heater and decor. What do cichlids seem to do better with sand , fine gravel, large gravel?
Not sure about the lights or cascade filter but I know the Aquaclears are excellent filters and sand would be my No.1 choice for cichlids...

Back
Top Bottom