Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fresh water filtration

I am fairly new to the hobby. I have a new 90 gallon tank I am looking to put cichlids or oscars or peacock bass in it . What is the best option for quiet filtration? I was wondering if hooking a canister filter to a under gravel filter would work good but I have never seen it done. I would think pulling all the water through the gravel would help the breakdown of particulates. I don't like filters that hang on the back of the tank .any advice would be appreciated.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarony View Post
I am fairly new to the hobby. I have a new 90 gallon tank I am looking to put cichlids or oscars or peacock bass in it . What is the best option for quiet filtration? I was wondering if hooking a canister filter to a under gravel filter would work good but I have never seen it done. I would think pulling all the water through the gravel would help the breakdown of particulates. I don't like filters that hang on the back of the tank .any advice would be appreciated.
I don't think that the canister to the undergravel will work. I would suggest a very large canister. Look for how many gallons per hour the filter does, and reduce that by at least 25% because that will be the flow with the filter media in it. Try to have the tank cycle through 8 times if you choose african cichlids, and 10+ for a single oscar. A peacock bass will not fit in a 90 gallon.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'd reccomend an Fluval and/or Eheim canister filter. IMO don't go with an undergravel filter. You say you don't like Hang on back but I find them really useful for a tank over 20 gallons so along with a Fluval/Eheim canister I'd reccomend an AquaClear 110. Its a very good and quiet hang on back filter.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I am trying to keep it as quiet as possible due to being in a room with tile floors and bad acoustics . I will look at the 110s and a canister . And I couldn't fit a 4 inch peacock in a 90 gallon tank for at least a year or so?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I am trying to keep it as quiet as possible due to being in a room with tile floors and bad acoustics . I will look at the 110s and a canister . And I couldn't fit a 4 inch peacock in a 90 gallon tank for at least a year or so?
I don't know how fast they grow. I would suggest tons of African cichlids, or an oscar.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubs1281 View Post

I don't know how fast they grow. I would suggest tons of African cichlids, or an oscar.
You could keep a peacock in a 90 for a while, but they get huge and are not practical for most people. Why worry about rehoming? There's lots of beautiful SA an CA cichlids to choose from.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I use a wet dry for my planted tank it cycles the best I personally believe
Old 11-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Considering I've had canister and hang on backs
Old 11-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ok I will go with the canister and two aqua clear 110. My local stores say to not use a under gravel filter . Do most of you agree? What brand canister would you buy ? They sell marine land , hydro, cascade.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok I will go with the canister and two aqua clear 110. My local stores say to not use a under gravel filter . Do most of you agree? What brand canister would you buy ? They sell marine land , hydro, cascade.
Underground filters are pretty old school. You want to remove the junk, not hide it in the gravel. For that size tank, you could go for a Fluval FX5/6. This could do away with the need for HOBs or just use one HOB, stuffed with polyfil for that extra sparkle.....

Tags
ate, filtration, fresh, fresh water, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com