Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-15-2005, 06:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Freshwater dip shelf-life

For my incoming shipment of crabs and shrimp, I prepared a 4-gallon freshwater dip with methylene blue. This is a lot of water to discard. Can I keep it around and use it in the future on new specimen? If so, how long?

bromion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the purpose of a freshwater dip? Preventative FW dips serve no useful purpose and often times just end up increasing the stress of an already stressed animal. Dump it all.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to Melissamustang
Do the all natural.Additives are not needed...start your cycle...Get things in order before adding the crabs. They are sensitive. Then add things. In this hobby it takes time and patients. It will pay off.

What is your set up? How long has your tank been up....Has it cycled?
525 Salt water "Zoo"

Tell someone how you feel….Make a sweet comment and it will always make you feel good as well!
Melissamustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
As Lando said "dump it all" You will just end up ordering inverts again.
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:56 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
Fenner ("Conscientious Marine Aquarist") seems to think it's essential for all specimen to undergo a freshwater dip to remove parasites. I guess not everyone agrees. What are your procedures for acclimating new inverts before quarantine then tank addition?
bromion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm torn here, so I'll give you my opinion, for what it's worth, so take my words as that. Opinion.
Fenner's book is an incredible book and great reference but keep in mind that Fenner wrote this back in 1998 and what was normal practice then may seem a bit radical now. Things change so fast in this hobby it's incredible. That said, I know it's suggested to do these dips on fish and equipment but I don't remember reading about doing that with inverts(not saying it doesn't though, it's been a very long time since I've read the book). Inverts are usually more sensitive and not as tolerant of salinity changes. I mean, after all, we do fw dips on live rock to rid it of inverts. QT'ing only is my preferred method. This gives me time to really observe them and time to act if parasites are present. And it is my understanding that fish parasites can not live on inverts since it takes a fish host to thrive. The QT gives time for any potential parasite that would be a threat to your fish, time to die off. So, not disagreeing with Fenner (he's great, I got to meet him this year at MACNA ), just wanted to give you another option/opinion.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:07 PM   #7
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree that`s old school. Its not needed. Never used it in my tank
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Actually for some corals, I think more people are doing it. I will be dipping all new zoos that I get. More and more talk of zoo eating nudibranchs scares me enough. I have done the dips and the zoos handle them fine. I know some QT everthing but that is tuff sometimes. Pyramid snails on clams are a nuisance as well.

I don't know if I would dip inverts but I will dip zoos for sure.

*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com