Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Question Freshwater filtration HELP

Large aquariums are new to me and I will soon be ordering a 120 gallon acrylic tank with 2 drilled overflows. What would be my best filtration method? Thinking I would prefer a sump system so I can put heater, UV, etc in this compartment and not in the show tank. Would love to hear all recommendations on equipment, pumps, media, etc. Thanks Jeff

luddy1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have several big tanks and 1 has overflows on that 1 I have a wd200 filter with bio balls made for 200 gallon tank my tank is a 180 gallon I also have 2 fluval 405 pumps on it and it runs great. I don't know that I would trust running just bio balls alone doesn't seen to be as good to me as the canister filter. If you go with a sump make sure it has micron bags or similar to help with filtration. My sump has bio balls and it had a thin pad on top where the trickle part of the system is and it would plug up quick and would flow out on the floor so I have since then takin the pad out. And no issues since. So basically if you go with a sump make it have extra pads or filter media the more the better because bio balls alone won't keep it clean an clear.

LostInFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thanks for your reply. I am considering this tank.... Fish Tanks Aquariums Custom Made Acrylic Reef Saltwater | eBay and he also offers this sump tank as well.... Sump Fuge Aquarium Tank Saltwarer Fish | eBay. I think this has the space for the micron bags in the first chambers and then I was going to fill the middle (refugium area) with the bio balls and other media. I am researching the pumps now and Fluval seems to be a winner. Why would you need two pumps? Would you recommend a diatomic filter as well for weekly/monthly cleanings? Thanks again
luddy1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

ate, bio balls, bioballs, filtration, fresh, freshwater, media, pump, refugium, sump, water, wet/dry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com