Freshwater Hardware Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyc11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First off great site. I have never been one for aquatic forums. But have read so much great information on this site. I thought it was time to register and ask a question.

I have tinkered in FW a long time ago. Nothing major 50 gallon with a canister a few Chiclids etc. My brother and I split the cost of a 180 gallon reef tank for our office in the 4 years it completely crashed 3 times loosing all livestock and just a huge headache we ended up throwing our hands up and just draining it selling most of the hardware etc. My brother opened a new branch of our business in a new city. And I am sitting here with a 180 gallon tank with corner overflows, standpipes, a 70 gallon sump, with return pump and all plumbing still intact. And have decided to convert it to freshwater easier to maintain and not as stress full.

So last 2 days I have spent all my time climbing in and out of this thing scrubbing and scraping with water and vinegar I hope this smell fades from my hands and arms. Any way tank looks brand new again.

But now what. I know all the pros and cons of sumps as we ran one for 4 years. But have no idea what I should be putting in this thing for filtration. Obviously carbon, fiber filter, but what else should I be putting in there? I also have read about turning it into a filter/refugium so plant life can help with nitrates etc. However I do not plan on planting anything in the main tank and for the amount of water I am going to have can you really plant enough in a sump to help maintain this much water?

Don't be afraid of overloading me with information. I am a reader and will take all advise into consideration.

Thanks

Bio media mate, fill it to the gunnals with the stuff in my opinion!!! Bio balls, alfacrog, anything that will allow bactria to grow on it!!! Some will say that you only need enough media for the number of fish and this is true but often does not allow for fluctuations in water conditions and leads to crashes. If the system is healthy and only using 50% of the media, who cares, you have a buffer just in case!!!!! :D

Sco

Back
Top Bottom