Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah, I was researching co2 and I think I will just go DIY for that because it is a lot cheap though it is more work.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Following on this thread, have a planted tank now and eventually want to go high tech, and feedback/advice is appreciated!

I'm looking to buy medium light LED from buildmyled.com for a new 55g FW planted with Eco-complete, looking to mostly keep easier/intermediate green colored plants and experiment with some easier to use carpeting plants like dwarf sag and java moss (?). Would 6500k medium light be sufficient in my case?

I'd like to eventually go high tech and get high light and grow more difficult plants like dwarf hairgrass etc with Co2, ferts and all, but feel I need to practice first with medium light. Or would anyone recommend I just spare the expense of having to buy another light later and just get 6500k high light now, and hold off Co2 and ferts until later when I'm more experienced? Or will I be inviting an algae outbreak and other problems due to imbalance of lack of ferts/co2?

As for the color temp, my understanding is 6500k is pretty versatile and better for green plants?

Any advice feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Go high light from buildmyled.com and buy the dimmer switch. This will let you run the light for low/medium until you're ready for high tech and then you just run it at 100% with your co2 and ferts at that point. It lets you future proof yourself. Rivercats recommended me to go that route and I'm glad I did cause I ended up getting a co2 system a month later haha.

Also, the 10k light will wash out reds I was told, so keep that in mind.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks! If i've learned anything on these forums, it's always do what Rivercats says! you think 6500k will be ok or you suggesting i get a 10k?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexgcraig View Post
Thanks! If i've learned anything on these forums, it's always do what Rivercats says! you think 6500k will be ok or you suggesting i get a 10k?
Hah that's the truth!

I went with the 6300 dutch and love it. I run high light and injected co2 now. I think it brings out great color in everything I have in my tank. Rivercats warned me that the 10k light would wash out reds, but I believe make the greens look great. I have reds in some fish I have and didn't want them not to pop out with color so I went with the 6300. I'm really happy with it. It's all personal preference, either would work for you. Just get the dimmer switch so you can run high, medium, or low light.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks! Great advice!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com