Freshwater LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolee0722

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the best led light for freshwater planted aquariums.

Ok thanks for the reply. What cheaper LEDs would you recommend?

I got to see some of those in person at my LFS - they looked like they were worth every dollar.

Ok I took a look at them and they seem cool. I will probably get one and then get another later on when I heavily stock with plants.

Ok I took a look at them and they seem cool. I will probably get one and then get another later on when I heavily stock with plants.

Depending on how big your tank is, you shouldn't need more than one unit

I was thinking the 10000k planted fixture 36" on a 40 gallon breeder

Idk. I still haven't decided yet though with the build my led fixture I could probably have anthing.

Idk. I still haven't decided yet though with the build my led fixture I could probably have anthing.

Indeed, but you WILL need to get Co2 and dry ferts with that baby full blast. You can use Glut (excel) but I find only a select few members on here have been successful with tough plants using that method. It can be done but you need to really monitor your plants. Co2 is easier IMO than dosing glut but I'm sure Rivercats will play devils advocate on that one. Once you let us know what plants you want we can help you more in depth and potentially lower your costs.

Yeah, I was researching co2 and I think I will just go DIY for that because it is a lot cheap though it is more work.

Following on this thread, have a planted tank now and eventually want to go high tech, and feedback/advice is appreciated!

I'm looking to buy medium light LED from buildmyled.com for a new 55g FW planted with Eco-complete, looking to mostly keep easier/intermediate green colored plants and experiment with some easier to use carpeting plants like dwarf sag and java moss (?). Would 6500k medium light be sufficient in my case?

I'd like to eventually go high tech and get high light and grow more difficult plants like dwarf hairgrass etc with Co2, ferts and all, but feel I need to practice first with medium light. Or would anyone recommend I just spare the expense of having to buy another light later and just get 6500k high light now, and hold off Co2 and ferts until later when I'm more experienced? Or will I be inviting an algae outbreak and other problems due to imbalance of lack of ferts/co2?

As for the color temp, my understanding is 6500k is pretty versatile and better for green plants?

Any advice feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!

Go high light from buildmyled.com and buy the dimmer switch. This will let you run the light for low/medium until you're ready for high tech and then you just run it at 100% with your co2 and ferts at that point. It lets you future proof yourself. Rivercats recommended me to go that route and I'm glad I did cause I ended up getting a co2 system a month later haha.

Also, the 10k light will wash out reds I was told, so keep that in mind.

Thanks! If i've learned anything on these forums, it's always do what Rivercats says! you think 6500k will be ok or you suggesting i get a 10k?

Thanks! If i've learned anything on these forums, it's always do what Rivercats says! you think 6500k will be ok or you suggesting i get a 10k?

Hah that's the truth!

I went with the 6300 dutch and love it. I run high light and injected co2 now. I think it brings out great color in everything I have in my tank. Rivercats warned me that the 10k light would wash out reds, but I believe make the greens look great. I have reds in some fish I have and didn't want them not to pop out with color so I went with the 6300. I'm really happy with it. It's all personal preference, either would work for you. Just get the dimmer switch so you can run high, medium, or low light.

Back
Top Bottom