Freshwater Master Test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djeff

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Either of these kits any good?

- Tetra Laborett Test Kit

- Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit

Which one would you go with? I remember some kits in the past being very inaccurate and others were hard to tell the difference between colors... Any others? I don't want to spend to much on one ;)

Sold! - Ordering the AP. It was nice to have a few opinions. My last test kit was a "dry" tab version that required about 5 solid minutes of vigorous shaking to get it to work, and after all that it was very hard to tell the colors apart.

This one looks much easier.

Aside from the nitrate test all the ones I've used by tetra were hard to read or inaccurate. I do love their nitrate test though. For the aquarium pharm I like all the test kits but the nitrate one. That orange to red to darker red is hard for me to read.

Man, this is a cool forum - lots of replies!

From what everyone has said, the AP kit sounds good. Bummer about the Tetra Nitrate, but I figure that probably most of the 'master' kits have one test that they don't do as well as the others (at least that's the way it used to be)

My vote is also for the AP test kit. When testing for Nitrates, if you can't determine what the level is because of the redness, do a water change. :D That's my rule of thumb. beacuse if you can't tell the difference, your Nitrates are too high anyways.

Welcome to AA djeff!

I also use the AP kit for most tests, and have compared it to some rather expensive kits, and get results similar enough that I don't feel the need to spend money on wildly expensive (LaMotte/Hach) kits.

Whatever you do, avoid RedSea kits ;)

Except the aquarium pharm kit costs $14 and the hagen costs $60. Slight difference when aquarium pharm tests just as accurately as hagen. It does come with 3 more tests but most don't need an iron, phosphate, or calcium test. Especially calcium unless your doing saltwater. Even if you bought those 3 seperate they only come out to $25 and the hagen kit is $46 more. Where'd the other $20 go?

bigalsonline sells the Hagan for 40 and I do think sooner or later it will be wise for everyone to have a PO4 testkit for controlling algae... HTH
I dont like AP's PH or NO3 testkits.. If I were to do it again.. I would order a Hagen Mastertestkit from bigalsonline.

Other than the irritating procedure for the AP NO3 test, I recommended it wholeheartedly. Never got a bad or inaccurate result. :) I would like to see a full spectrum Ph test, rather than having the high and low that are available now.

aqh88 said:
Except the aquarium pharm kit costs $14 and the hagen costs $60. Slight difference when aquarium pharm tests just as accurately as hagen. It does come with 3 more tests but most don't need an iron, phosphate, or calcium test. Especially calcium unless your doing saltwater. Even if you bought those 3 seperate they only come out to $25 and the hagen kit is $46 more. Where'd the other $20 go?

you get what you pay for.
IMO..you cant beat the Hagen Master Test Kit no matter what it costs.

Back
Top Bottom