Freshwater sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sump and Canister

I have an acrylic 120g corner bow with built in overflow. I am setting this up for Africans. I have an FX5 and was recently given a sump. I would like to run them both using the existing overflow without drilling additional holes and in a single line.

My idea is to drain into the sump first then to FX5 and back into the tank. The FX5 will pull the water from the sump using its pump. Is this possible? What is the best way to do this?

There has to be a way to make this happen.

Stick to your own thread.

It would be easier to run them separately.

Well neighbor. Welcome. I think your idea is good but it really depends on the fx5s ability to pump the water. Idk much about them but I don't think it's strong enough to pump the water up and into the tank. I could be wrong( probably wrong). I too have a freshwater sump however I just have a pump not a filter for a return. Hopefully someone can chime in and help.

If you can raise the sump high enough so that it effectively drains into the FX5 it could work. Otherwise it is much simpler and easier to just run them separately.

Howdy Neighbor,

I sure am not missing all the southern heat right now. Living in Seattle has made me appreciate the South a whole lot more.

I have been told it can not be done. Now I am hoping someone will give me an alternative solution as I really do not want drill new holes into this tank. There has to be some sort of solution.

Does the tank have a euro brace (wide area of acrylic as a top frame, not as open as a standard tank)?

You couldn't match the flow properly. Rather than over-complicate and over-think this just run them separately. If there are no openings that could work for the FX5 you could drill holes in the euro brace to achieve this. Holes along the back of the euro brace are common, so minimal sized holes shouldn't create any structural problems.

The current holes are drilled in the bottom. How difficult would it be to drill holes in the back? Also if I drill can they both return through the same line or should I have a separate return?

Separate return. Drilling acrylic is easy, but go through the top. It can handle it better than going through the back. Just use the holes for the FX5 tubing to go through as if it were on a glass tank, no special plumbing.

Back
Top Bottom