Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2004, 09:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

freshwater UV filter - is this a good idea?

I will be getting a new 150 gallon freshwater tank. It will a sump filter. Is a UV a good idea and if so, what are some recomedned brands?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-23-2004, 11:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

One of the advisors (loganj), is presently writing an article on UV sterilizers. If he doesn't reply here, send him a PM. I think he's probably the best one to answer your question.

Old 11-24-2004, 05:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

uv filter

thansk you!
Old 11-24-2004, 06:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

To my mind, if you use U.V. to sterilize the water the fish's immune system never gets a chance to strengthen. Then if it (the UV lamp) fails or becomes ineffecient with age there might be the potential that your fish will be weak. Then they may succumb to a normally reatively easy to treat illness.

Immune systems are meant to be exposed to a mild level of nasties. Keeping a good tank maintainence schedule and strict quarantine should really enough to have healthy vigourous fish.

These are just my thoughs and others may disagree. I wouldd be interested to hear what others think too.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:33 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I'm not sure I agree with that or not. I expect than most fish you buy have already been exposed to most, if not all, of the common bacteria/viruses. Will their immune system lose its effectiveness in sterilized water? I'm not sure. I will certainly pose that question next time I go to the diagnostic center to service their tank. I'm not saying you're incorrect of course...I'd just like to find out more. Interesting theory.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

UV's. I love'em. I use'em. Won't live without 'em! I can't testify to the immunity question, because I change my bulbs on time.
The real question is the cost. I dont' see the need on a basic FW community tank. Only if you have a lot of money tied up in fish does it justify the UV expense.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree Mark. If I were in a situation where I had $$$ tied up and the potential that a disease outbreak might occur, then I would think more about it.

LoganJ, I guess I was thinking that if you got young fish or spawned your own.... But you are probably right. Most fish from an LFS would have been exposed to things, especially if wild caught.

Tags
filter, freshwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com