Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphysis
I have the same problem with a good friend of mine. Not with tanks but anything else. Always name brands and brand new. And can't afford it. The thing is we all know how addictive this hobby can get.

Since he's not really looking for new fish-stock, just a new tank, maybe think of a way of rescaping his current tank. Change the scenery a bit, new rock, plant or even substrate and hear what he says. A small change can make it look like new.
That's a great idea didn't think of that. Maybe a little change will do the trick.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:26 AM   #12
come get me tang police!

Nothing wrong with getting a new tank, what's the issue?

I don't buy new tanks from pet stores because they are pretty expensive compared to the used ones on CL and the classifieds. People get out of this hobby all the time so there are always tanks for sale.

I paid $100 for my 125 tank and stand, and less than $200 for (12) 40b's, (2) 20Ls, and a handful of other little tanks.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:57 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
Nothing wrong with getting a new tank, what's the issue?

I don't buy new tanks from pet stores because they are pretty expensive compared to the used ones on CL and the classifieds. People get out of this hobby all the time so there are always tanks for sale.

I paid $100 for my 125 tank and stand, and less than $200 for (12) 40b's, (2) 20Ls, and a handful of other little tanks.
No issue really. Just wanna know if he's getting the right tank or his money worth as far as for the fish and added space. Like is it worth it? Going from a 48 BF to a 60 I guess you would call it tall? It's 48 long but 12 wide.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 11-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #14
come get me tang police!

sounds pretty much like a 55g tank, they are 48x12. Not much of an upgrade unless he wants a different style tank, or if this one is an addition rather than a replacement.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:24 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey
sounds pretty much like a 55g tank, they are 48x12. Not much of an upgrade unless he wants a different style tank, or if this one is an addition rather than a replacement.
That's what I mean... No real upgrade so I'd rather him save money and maybe get a 75 or maybe just re do his tank and make it look nice. He fell in love with mine but I told him he can't go by me. I started all wrong. I'm just gonna offer my advice and support his decision.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I personally think a bowfront is a lot more presentable than a regular. When it comes to scaping you have more dimensions to work with. With a regular its pretty much just the front view.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphysis
I personally think a bowfront is a lot more presentable than a regular. When it comes to scaping you have more dimensions to work with. With a regular its pretty much just the front view.
That's exactly how my wife feels. She said I can get a 72-75 as long as its a bowfront. Just looks better in the living room.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Best way to save $$$ on a tank set up is to build your own stand. You can make it rough, or as ornate as you want it. I find that the ones I build are cheaper and stronger.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com