Friend needs help/advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
My buddy has a 46 or a 48 gallon bowfront and he wants a new tank. I'm not sure what to tell him. He doesn't have much money and was excited about a sale at a LFS.

Anyway he can afford a 60 gallon regular. Is it worth it for him to spend the money? What can I tell him? What is he really gaining as far as size. He has some Africans. I have no idea what advice to give. I guess it's some deal tank/stand and he wants to jump on it. I told him about craigslist but he wants brand new with receipt.

Bottom line should I tell him it's worth it or just stay with his what I believe to be a 46g bowfront. He's a good friend and has had fish for awhile. I guess he got excited when he saw my tank and saw the sale. I just don't want him throwing money away.

This is probably the biggest he can go and with the stand included and all ready put together is a huge plus!! He lost one of his arms in Afghanistan. I would help him set it up and go get it. Just wanna make sure it's worth it.

Like in the end is he really gaining anything from it? I know it says 60 gallon but it looks like it might be a 60 gallon tall maybe, it's not short but it's long.

Your help in this would be greatly appreciated. He wants to go tomorrow, I told him to wait until I researched it and by that I mean coming to you guys and gals who have helped me out so much.

Thanks for your time. Looking forward to input.

Wish I had some expertise on this. I would say as a friend, if he wants it, it's his money, I'm sure it's something for him to be excited about. I hope more knowledgeable folks chime in. Good luck!

Hholly said:
Wish I had some expertise on this. I would say as a friend, if he wants it, it's his money, I'm sure it's something for him to be excited about. I hope more knowledgeable folks chime in. Good luck!

Thanks. I just wanna make sure it's worth it. I looked them up. The 60 is 48" long so it is much longer but if I read right it's only 12" wide? Doesn't seem wide at all! And it's tall like 58" high and the bowfront says its 38" wide so width wise it's much wider then the 60g. The 60g is just longer. Not sure what's more beneficial and worth the money. Also not sure if the fish will even benefit from the change. It's not like he's going to a 75g or 90g then it's a not even a question.

Hopefully some of my friends will stop by this thread and offer there input/opinions.

My 45 is tall and 12" wide too. I'm looking forward to stocking it with different levels of fish. I feel like there are lots of options. What is your friend wanting to put in that tank?

Hholly said:
My 45 is tall and 12" wide too. I'm looking forward to stocking it with different levels of fish. I feel like there are lots of options. What is your friend wanting to put in that tank?

He fell in love with my Africans so he wants a bigger tank to stock it. I told him don't go by me. I'm overstocked and running 1 penguin 350 and 1 aqua clear 110 plus a air stone.

Well maybe you could point out some good deals on Craigslist. I know he wants new, but sometimes you can get almost new stuff dirt cheap. I know you know that. But if he has his mind set, there's probably no point trying to change it. You can both have fun with the project. :)

Hholly said:
Well maybe you could point out some good deals on Craigslist. I know he wants new, but sometimes you can get almost new stuff dirt cheap. I know you know that. But if he has his mind set, there's probably no point trying to change it. You can both have fun with the project. :)

Yeah I'm trying to show him some nice 75g on CL that are cheaper then what he wants. Maybe he'll change his mind but either way I'll be there to support him and help him set it up.

I have the same problem with a good friend of mine. Not with tanks but anything else. Always name brands and brand new. And can't afford it. The thing is we all know how addictive this hobby can get.

Since he's not really looking for new fish-stock, just a new tank, maybe think of a way of rescaping his current tank. Change the scenery a bit, new rock, plant or even substrate and hear what he says. A small change can make it look like new.

epiphysis said:
I have the same problem with a good friend of mine. Not with tanks but anything else. Always name brands and brand new. And can't afford it. The thing is we all know how addictive this hobby can get.

Since he's not really looking for new fish-stock, just a new tank, maybe think of a way of rescaping his current tank. Change the scenery a bit, new rock, plant or even substrate and hear what he says. A small change can make it look like new.

That's a great idea didn't think of that. Maybe a little change will do the trick.

Nothing wrong with getting a new tank, what's the issue?

I don't buy new tanks from pet stores because they are pretty expensive compared to the used ones on CL and the classifieds. People get out of this hobby all the time so there are always tanks for sale.

I paid $100 for my 125 tank and stand, and less than $200 for (12) 40b's, (2) 20Ls, and a handful of other little tanks.

jetajockey said:
Nothing wrong with getting a new tank, what's the issue?

I don't buy new tanks from pet stores because they are pretty expensive compared to the used ones on CL and the classifieds. People get out of this hobby all the time so there are always tanks for sale.

I paid $100 for my 125 tank and stand, and less than $200 for (12) 40b's, (2) 20Ls, and a handful of other little tanks.

No issue really. Just wanna know if he's getting the right tank or his money worth as far as for the fish and added space. Like is it worth it? Going from a 48 BF to a 60 I guess you would call it tall? It's 48 long but 12 wide.

jetajockey said:
sounds pretty much like a 55g tank, they are 48x12. Not much of an upgrade unless he wants a different style tank, or if this one is an addition rather than a replacement.

That's what I mean... No real upgrade so I'd rather him save money and maybe get a 75 or maybe just re do his tank and make it look nice. He fell in love with mine but I told him he can't go by me. I started all wrong. I'm just gonna offer my advice and support his decision.

I personally think a bowfront is a lot more presentable than a regular. When it comes to scaping you have more dimensions to work with. With a regular its pretty much just the front view.

epiphysis said:
I personally think a bowfront is a lot more presentable than a regular. When it comes to scaping you have more dimensions to work with. With a regular its pretty much just the front view.

That's exactly how my wife feels. She said I can get a 72-75 as long as its a bowfront. Just looks better in the living room.

Best way to save $$$ on a tank set up is to build your own stand. You can make it rough, or as ornate as you want it. I find that the ones I build are cheaper and stronger.

Back
Top Bottom