Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Friend needs help/advice

My buddy has a 46 or a 48 gallon bowfront and he wants a new tank. I'm not sure what to tell him. He doesn't have much money and was excited about a sale at a LFS.

Anyway he can afford a 60 gallon regular. Is it worth it for him to spend the money? What can I tell him? What is he really gaining as far as size. He has some Africans. I have no idea what advice to give. I guess it's some deal tank/stand and he wants to jump on it. I told him about craigslist but he wants brand new with receipt.

Bottom line should I tell him it's worth it or just stay with his what I believe to be a 46g bowfront. He's a good friend and has had fish for awhile. I guess he got excited when he saw my tank and saw the sale. I just don't want him throwing money away.

This is probably the biggest he can go and with the stand included and all ready put together is a huge plus!! He lost one of his arms in Afghanistan. I would help him set it up and go get it. Just wanna make sure it's worth it.

Like in the end is he really gaining anything from it? I know it says 60 gallon but it looks like it might be a 60 gallon tall maybe, it's not short but it's long.

Your help in this would be greatly appreciated. He wants to go tomorrow, I told him to wait until I researched it and by that I mean coming to you guys and gals who have helped me out so much.

Thanks for your time. Looking forward to input.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone? He wants me to take him tomorrow. Not sure what to do. Don't want him blowing money if it's not worth it.

This one he wants

http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmar...ductId=3804465

This is what he has minus the stand. It's on his dresser in bedroom.

http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmar...n_jtt_redirect

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 11-13-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Come on friends. Don't fail me now... He's gonna be calling me around noon tomorrow.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wish I had some expertise on this. I would say as a friend, if he wants it, it's his money, I'm sure it's something for him to be excited about. I hope more knowledgeable folks chime in. Good luck!
Old 11-13-2011, 02:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hholly
Wish I had some expertise on this. I would say as a friend, if he wants it, it's his money, I'm sure it's something for him to be excited about. I hope more knowledgeable folks chime in. Good luck!
Thanks. I just wanna make sure it's worth it. I looked them up. The 60 is 48" long so it is much longer but if I read right it's only 12" wide? Doesn't seem wide at all! And it's tall like 58" high and the bowfront says its 38" wide so width wise it's much wider then the 60g. The 60g is just longer. Not sure what's more beneficial and worth the money. Also not sure if the fish will even benefit from the change. It's not like he's going to a 75g or 90g then it's a not even a question.

Hopefully some of my friends will stop by this thread and offer there input/opinions.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

My 45 is tall and 12" wide too. I'm looking forward to stocking it with different levels of fish. I feel like there are lots of options. What is your friend wanting to put in that tank?
Old 11-13-2011, 03:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My 45 is tall and 12" wide too. I'm looking forward to stocking it with different levels of fish. I feel like there are lots of options. What is your friend wanting to put in that tank?
He fell in love with my Africans so he wants a bigger tank to stock it. I told him don't go by me. I'm overstocked and running 1 penguin 350 and 1 aqua clear 110 plus a air stone.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:15 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well maybe you could point out some good deals on Craigslist. I know he wants new, but sometimes you can get almost new stuff dirt cheap. I know you know that. But if he has his mind set, there's probably no point trying to change it. You can both have fun with the project.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Well maybe you could point out some good deals on Craigslist. I know he wants new, but sometimes you can get almost new stuff dirt cheap. I know you know that. But if he has his mind set, there's probably no point trying to change it. You can both have fun with the project.
Yeah I'm trying to show him some nice 75g on CL that are cheaper then what he wants. Maybe he'll change his mind but either way I'll be there to support him and help him set it up.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:04 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have the same problem with a good friend of mine. Not with tanks but anything else. Always name brands and brand new. And can't afford it. The thing is we all know how addictive this hobby can get.

Since he's not really looking for new fish-stock, just a new tank, maybe think of a way of rescaping his current tank. Change the scenery a bit, new rock, plant or even substrate and hear what he says. A small change can make it look like new.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com