Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-04-2005, 06:26 PM   #1

Friggin Eclipse filter

I got a great deal on a new Eclipse hood -- you know, with the filter and light built in. The trouble I find the filter much too powerful, and the water too turbulent.

I don't see a flow adjustment on the filter at all, which seems to be a Marineland trademark ( ). Am I missing something, or does anyone have a suggestion short of stuffing something up the intake tube?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Felf
lifting the intake tube a little

Felf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felf
lifting the intake tube a little
You're thinking of the HOB filters. That doesn't work with the Eclipse filter.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Felf
oh yeah that's right haha sorry! you could make your own spray bar?
Felf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SerLunchbox Send a message via AIM to SerLunchbox Send a message via MSN to SerLunchbox Send a message via Yahoo to SerLunchbox
you could try reducing the size of the opening for water to get into the filter.

Tankless ... for now ... until i find what i really want (and what the wife lets me get!)
SerLunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

The Eclipse hoods and filters are a very nice piece of equipment, and it also looks nice! But I've always found them to be too powerful too. I have the Eclipse 5 gallon hex tank, and I covered the outflow with pantyhose.

You don't say what size filter you have, but try this -- lift out the whole filter assembly, the inflow tube and motor, the place where the cartridge sits, and the bio-wheel and outflow. You may want to float the bio-wheel in the tank while you work on the filter. I got some new, clean, unwashed black knee-high pantyhose and cut one a little bit above the foot. I stretched this part over the hole where the water comes back out. This is kind of right under the bio-wheel. When I put this whole filter/cartridge/bio-wheel assembly back in the tank, the tank frame held the pantyhose in place. This did reduce the outflow quite a bit. I still see the plants waving around gently, so I know there is still some water flow, but the betta's bubblenest is not torn apart anymore. The pantyhose does not act like a wick to bring up the water. The area around the frame stays dry, and you can put your cover back on and not worry about water puddling up in there.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:15 PM   #7

I think I understand what you are talking about. Really you're not reducing the flow, but diffusing it so it is not concentrated in one jet, right?

I have the Eclipse-1. It came as part of a 15-Tall Eclipse Deluxe package.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:40 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Yes -- the water coming into the filter is not restricted, and the bio-wheel still turns freely. But the water coming out is not so strong or fast in one spot like it was. The betta can swim under the outflow without being knocked around.

I also wondered if I cut the pantyhose, if it would "run" and I'd have to replace it often. But it hasn't -- the same piece has been in there for about a month. I just took it off for the first time and swished it in the removed tank water during a water change. It was fine, and then I put it back on.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eclipse, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com